Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space» Forums » General

Subject: How do you stop rogue aliens from cannibalism? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Oak
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, I liked this game quite a lot.

Yet in our most recent session, some player got angry after the aliens ate him, so he went and started killing off the other players, effectively eliminating players (making them sit out) and allowing humans to win the game.

This was quite a douchebag move, in my opinion. I have killed aliens before by accident (when they were in a silent sector and I end up attacking it). I feel really bad about it afterwards, and it's not like I go hunting aliens when I'm an alien (no matter if I start as one or become one).

I've seen some posts here with ideas on removing the player elimination aspect (such as stunlocking the aliens, or moving them back to the start position). But how do you avoid "sore" humans from actively sabotaging his new team and ruining the game for others?

I mean, I don't remember the book having a rule saying that the aliens cannot try to kill other aliens, so it's his "right" to do so. But it's the equivalent of playing as Oddjob in Goldeneye: it's allowed by the rules, but you're ruining the game for other people.

So, what can I do to avoid this from happening again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play with that person anymore. Any game can be played like that and putting rules in place isn't the way to stop it. I'm not sure there even is something you could do to stop it if he was intent on ruining it for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a player, not game issue. Sadly. So it's even more difficult for you to solve.

Try talking to this player to explain why this is wrong. If they get aggressive, I'd not play games like this with them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting upset at losing is a big problem no matter what board game you play. Usually I do not like 'do not play with that person' answers but this is such a fundamental problem that that might be the right answer.

You could try playing cooperative games only. At least then when you lose, everybody is losing. But trying to change this game to muzzle that player does not seem like a sustainable solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeh. I'm afraid my tip is don't play this game with that person. If they're getting angry about being eaten in Escape then they're not going to enjoy it. It's the whole basis of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 4
mbmbmbmbmb
Pro tip: Play games with adults who can act like adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 1: Explain how it ruins everyone else's fun and ask them not to behave that way.

Option 2: Don't play games, or at least that game, with this person.

Option 3: Next time have everyone pile on that player's alien and murder them over and over, ruining their game. Not recommended if you want to stay friends with this person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking about the game or real life?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Ragione
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
I feel your pain but from a narrative standpoint it's really cool what happened. Maybe his infection wasn't fully developed and he decided to use his newfound alien strength to help his old crew.

I think in this case it's better if the group reacts to it positively and tries to integrate it in the action of the game, with the other aliens trying to kill him before he gets to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa Ragione wrote:
I feel your pain but from a narrative standpoint it's really cool what happened. Maybe his infection wasn't fully developed and he decided to use his newfound alien strength to help his old crew.

I think in this case it's better if the group reacts to it positively and tries to integrate it in the action of the game, with the other aliens trying to kill him before he gets to them.

Sorry, I completely disagree. Playing the game in this way suddenly creates a real imbalance surely. The other alien player(s) now need to be really careful and the humans will be targeted less because of one Alien's idiotic aggression against his now teammates. So far the game feels very nicely balanced and I cannot help but feel this will adversely affect the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Breese
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a house rule, you could simply eliminate any humans who get eaten. Not ideal but better than a straight up ruined game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jones
United States
Auburndale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not endorse rogue or sabotaging play, where somebody plays against their own interest in favor of spite or whimsical chaos.

However, I think the above problem is really a problem with the game itself. It contains effective player elimination (a human-turned-alien cannot win the game, and cannot make moves that advance their standing), yet keeps the player in the game with full power to advance the agenda of one faction or the other. This strikes me as poor game design.

For the above human player whose game was ended by being turned into an alien, why is that player forced to work for the alien faction and not the human faction? The player can't win. Formerly, the player was psychologically playing and rooting for the humans, so it doesn't seem irrational to continue playing with that mind set. The game gives that player no reason not to. Further, as somebody else mentioned above, it can be a thematic approach -- the human's will has not been fully subverted by the conversion and seeks revenge on the monsters that killed him, and provide aid to his (former) crew mates.

I hit this forum to learn more about the Ultimate edition, which is on good sale at Coolstuff right now. I own (and have played once) the original boxed game, but the box was crushed in a move, and I can't look at it without being irritated by the damage. But now that I think hard about the incentive structure of the victory conditions, I only see problems: player elim for aliens, roguish player elim for humans, alien victory hinging only on the fate of the last human, stupid damaged escape hatches.

These didn't really come up in our one game because we were all heads down trying to decipher the hidden chase puzzle. Plus, we ditched the hatch cards. With another thread here suggesting you just ignore the victory conditions, and play it like an activity/party game, I'm falling on the Do Not Need to Play Again side of the equation. With better victory conditions, I could be convinced otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.