United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
While many here will moan over the loss of the actor who spent the least amount of screen time as The Doctor, the veteran English actor will be remembered for a wide range of roles, including John Merrick in The Elephant Man, Kane in Alien, Ollivander in the Harry Potter film series, and Winston Smith in 1984.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4166046/Actor-John-H...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know. But I decided to leave the full filmography to IMDB and Wikipedia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
He was awesome in Hellboy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Also, I was recently re-watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and I forgot he was in that. But there he was!

Drew1365 wrote:
I was recently re-watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Drew1365 wrote:
re-watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha was an amazing Caligula in I, Claudius. One of my favorite mini-series. So good at playing the freak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFS, I thought 2016 was a bad year for iconic people but this do not bode well for 2017 either. RIP John.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Also, I was recently re-watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and I forgot he was in that. But there he was!

Drew1365 wrote:
I was recently re-watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Drew1365 wrote:
re-watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Wait a minute, are you, the most feared admin, trying to make fun in a thread about the death of a very respected actor? Did I misunderstand this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Jern wrote:
Wait a minute, are you, the most feared admin, trying to make fun in a thread about the death of a very respected actor? Did I misunderstand this?

He is human, you know, and he does participate in the, well, people stuff of BGG.

I mean, yes, he's probably slacking off at work instead of ban-hammering away at RSP (that being, well, his job), but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jesus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb

One of my favorite cameos of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jern wrote:
Wait a minute, are you, the most feared admin, trying to make fun in a thread about the death of a very respected actor?

This is Chit Chat. If you don't like fun, take it to Feel The Love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I grant that this is weird, but he did such a good job of playing someone who looked about to die in Contact that every time I've seen him in a movie since then, I've had a moment of "Holy cow--he's still alive? Awesome!" So, rather than feeling like he was taken from us too early, I feel like we got twenty bonus years. Makes it a lot easier to celebrate his life rather than focusing on lamenting his death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
I grant that this is weird, but he did such a good job of playing someone who looked about to die in Contact that every time I've seen him in a movie since then, I've had a moment of "Holy cow--he's still alive? Awesome!" So, rather than feeling like he was taken from us too early, I feel like we got twenty bonus years. Makes it a lot easier to celebrate his life rather than focusing on lamenting his death.

(Maybe male actors are paid more as being male is apparently fatal.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great actor.

Well of course I ordered no triumphs! Do you think I'd order triumphs for myself?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
"After all, He Who Must Not Be Named did great things with that wand. Terrible, yes, but great."

One of the best lines from the whole Harry Potter series, and it came early in the first film. Seeing it written here cannot convey the earnest creepiness with which Hurt delivered that line.

I also liked him as 'Adam Sutler' in "V for Vendetta"; and as the storyteller/narrator in Jim Henson's "The Storyteller", an under-rated fantasy TV series from the late '80s. Those two roles really showed his acting range: from the intense dictator of "V" to the kindly old man in "Storyteller" is quite a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One of the greatest voices ever.

I remember him most fondly as the Elephant Man, Watership Down's Hazel, and as Aragorn in Bakshi's LOTR. And the freaking exploding chest, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rest in Peace, John. You made impression as Caligula in I, Claudius and in 1984, one of the most depressing movies ever and righteous so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
sikeospi wrote:
rinelk wrote:

No wonder he got cast in "Dead Man"

Edit: wrong pic got in there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.