United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Follow the Map!
badge
These organisms are cleaning out an eye socket infection
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't have to be the same mechanistically. What other wargames have the same design goals?

1) Quick playing
2) Deep strategy and tactics
3) Beautiful
4) High fun:time ratio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Zacharjasz
Poland
Jablonna
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Guns of Gettysburg.
Although it is a little bit longer than NT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a redesign of Bonaparte at Marengo in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll notice both games are also Rachel Simmons'; it's unsurprising, however, that when you ask for games with a similar design philosophy, you get the same designer. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that many people who enjoy Napoleon's Triumph also like Sekigahara, which has some of the same flavor as NT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Baptism at Bull Run if you can't get your fill of Simmons-like games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silvergoose wrote:
You'll notice both games are also Rachel Simmons'; it's unsurprising, however, that when you ask for games with a similar design philosophy, you get the same designer.

I think it's exaggerated in this case, because Rachel has an unusual skill set and a unique perspective. I think of her games as sui generis.

Baptism at Bull Run would be the most obvious recommendation for another designer's work along the same lines, because László literally wanted to adapt Rachel's concepts for use in a U.S. Civil War setting. I haven't played it (I need to do so), but I have a copy and it's BaM roots are evident. By contrast, look at the radically different approach in Rachel's own Civil War design, Guns of Gettysburg. I don't think another designer on the planet would have come up with that.

Bottom line, I think anyone who has fallen under the spell of NT and wants more games of that nature should simply bide their time and buy whatever she comes up with next. There are other great designers out there, and their games are worthy of admiration, but nobody else designs like Rachel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usmint99 wrote:
Doesn't have to be the same mechanistically. What other wargames have the same design goals?

1) Quick playing
3) Beautiful

Well, other than #1, I would think all Designers aim for those goals to some extent. Rachael explicitly started with the aesthetics of blocks on a period looking map, trying to evoke the maps you see in some books, including the West Point Atlas

Pub Battles: Brandywine has much the same aesthetic, though not the same mechanics. And the same Designer has a Little Big Horn title.

Beyond that I have to mention Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 which checks all of your boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tam
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Follow the Map!
badge
These organisms are cleaning out an eye socket infection
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm coming from the ASL And OCS world, which actually don't prioritize the majority of these design goals.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I didn't properly state the philosophy I was referring to. It was more of the feel of the game that I was trying to articulate .

Sekigahara is cool but for some reason it feels more like an entry level game to me (maybe it's the cards?).

[qnq="blockhead"]
usmint99 wrote:

1) Quick playing
3) Beautiful

Well, other than #1, I would think all Designers aim for those goals to some extent. Rachael explicitly started with the aesthetics of blocks on a period looking map, trying to evoke the maps you see in some books, including the West Point Atlas

Pub Battles: Brandywine has much the same aesthetic, though not the same mechanics. And the same Designer has a Little Big Horn title.

Beyond that I have to mention Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 which checks all of your boxes.[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.