Jaysen O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
Hi All,

Designing my first Board Game, 'Supervisor'
Based on the day to day workings of what happens in a manufacturing environment, clean room, medical device, stent making, you have 4 'Line Leads' compete for the prized position of 'Supervisor'.

So on creation of the Board, I've hit a FEW stumbling blocks!
I'm going to give my 4 characters 4 characteristics that will interact with workforce, HR, Mgmt and Quality. I've given these attributes a rating out of 5 and out of the 4 attributes a total number of 12 Rating combined; Example- Mr.Strict - Temperament 5. Skillset 2. Communication 3. Team Player 2.
I'll have an action pack and would also like to have a pack associated with each of the ... Quality, Eng, HR and Mgmt , with the later two been incorporated into a semi Co op type play off v the head to head that predominates the overall game.

Anyway putting this up here for some feedback, as I'm a game design student, part time and ancient, but I'm very new to Board games (Sheltered life!!!) and am diving in and loving getting to study and love some of the greats.

Thanks

J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... So what are you stumbling on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaysen O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
Hiya CB, unsure as what to go with in terms of action cards...
a case of should I have individual decks for Workforce HR, Mgmt, Quality and Eng or go with just the one action card that has a breakdown of all 4/5 on the individual cards?

I also haven't properly set my overall goal' I know it's that of getting the job of Supervisor, but unsure as to settle on how to get there, ie: Meeting targets v Man Management etc..

Thank you for the reply

J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the action cards go, it really depends how involved you want the game to get, it there are spaces on the board that will give card draw, etc... I would go with either separate decks for each, or one deck with each card having a choice of 2 of the types of action.

Advise I've recently read in another thread on game design is:
* start small. get one mechanic designed and working well. after you have a solid mechanic working, then you can add more pieces to the game
* get constructive feedback early and often
* playtest, playtest, playtest
* rinse and repeat

The other thread broke the process down more, but I think it can really boil down to what I have above, at least at first.

It sounds like you have the best handle on what you want for actions, so I would start there. I think you'll find that after you get your action deck(s) half designed that what you want to do with the 4 characters will start to design itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaysen O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
A big thank you for the advice.
I'll build on each mechanic and playest asap!
Hopefully report back with a finished product!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.