Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched this rules forum for "Agnes Lita Attack" but couldn't find the answer. Maybe my search-Fu is weak. The rules reference is silent about what, exactly, constitutes an "attack"

Agnes is in a fight with Lita Chandler as an ally. Agnes takes horror damage from the monster. Her special ability triggers.

"(Reaction) After one or more horror is placed on Agnes Baker, deal one damage to an enemy at your location."

My question is, does this 'deal one damage' count as an "Attack" for the purposes of triggering Lita Chandler's special ability?

"(Reaction) When an investigator at your location successfully attacks a Monster enemy That investigator deals +1 damage."

So, does the monster enemy take only one damage or 1+1 from Lita's special ability?

Apologies if I have overlooked something bone-headedly simple.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I'm not completely sure, but I think there is a difference between an attack and direct damage. I think attacks can only take place as an "attack" action. Otherwise Agnes' ability might get a bit overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost positive no. Attacks are the result of a Fight action, and dealing direct damage does not involve any fight actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lecomte
France
Creteil
France
flag msg tools
I agree with Eric ! To my mind, you must do an attack action for it works...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mb
Attacking and dealing damage are two separte things. A successful attack will lead to the investigator dealing damage, but card effects can also deal damage, without being an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Under fight action:
To fight an enemy at his or her location, an investigator resolves an attack against that enemy by making a combat test against the enemy's fight value (see "Skill Tests" on page 18).

So I'd say for an investigator to "attack" it involves a skill test, unless a card overwrites this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - - If what you say is true, then the card 'Sneak Attack'

"tactic - Deal 2 damage to an exhausted enemy at your location"

is also not an ATTACK as it is not a fight action and it involves no skill test.

This seems quite strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems clear in context that "successfully attack" is a success with a Fight Action (much like cards that refer to successfully investigating - not the same thing as picking up a clue), but I would certainly have preferred for the rules (and this card) to not use the word attack and simply refer to Fight as the technical term.

chicklewis wrote:
Interesting - - If what you say is true, then the card 'Sneak Attack'

"tactic - Deal 2 damage to an exhausted enemy at your location"

is also not an ATTACK as it is not a fight action and it involves no skill test.

This seems quite strange.

Correct - Sneak Attack and Dynamite are not Attacks. Names of cards mean nothing.

emart40x wrote:
...but I think there is a difference between an attack and direct damage.

Clarification: Direct Damage is a technical term in this game unrelated to what you are talking about. It might be clearer to say that Attacking is not the same thing as Dealing Damage. It's easy to think of a future card like "Grapple: Fight. Instead of dealing damage, exhaust the enemy and draw one card for each point of damage you would have done"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Sneak Attack is not an Attack for Lita. Neither is Dynamie Blast. Backstab is an attack since it uses the Fight action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, my mindless reading concurs with the "not an attack" interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So she doesn't boost Shriveling? I was unclear about that, but reasoned thematically that she knew magic so it was reasonable for her to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
So she doesn't boost Shriveling? I was unclear about that, but reasoned thematically that she knew magic so it was reasonable for her to help.

That depends what you mean.

By "she" do you mean Lita, or Agnes?
And by "boost" do you mean increases damage dealt by, or increases skill check value?

Assuming you mean Lita, then, if you are referring to the damage dealt, yes, Lita will increase the damage dealt by Shrivelling, because using Shrivelling is a Fight action, but, if you are referring to the skill check value, no, Lita will not boost the skill check value because Shrivelling checks against Willpower, not Combat.

If you mean Agnes, then I am not at all sure what you are asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was referring to Lita's bonus. Didn't have the card in front of me to realize the Shriveling spell is "Fight", but that makes the answer obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.