Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » General

Subject: How does this play with two players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Wiles
United States
Oakland
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about whether this game plays well with two players. In this mode, does one person play all four turtles? If so, how manageable is that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wilesps wrote:
I was curious about whether this game plays well with two players. In this mode, does one person play all four turtles? If so, how manageable is that?


Yeah, if you play 1v1, one player controls all of the turtles. It works well, I enjoy it. But it does take away from some potential interaction between you and a partner, deciding how to combo moves and which turtles to move first, etc. BUT...its still fun doing that by yourself, imo, which makes it worth playing, even with just 2 people.

Also, if you buy The Works edition, you can play the Mousers scenario, where there is no villain player and the heroes merely try to gain a high score of number of mousers defeated in 6 rounds.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a few 2P games, and while it works, IMHO the game is far better with more. The turtles player is puzzling it out alone rather than collaborating with his teammates, which is fine for what it is I suppose, but there's a lot less excitement.

The turtles player should be the more experienced gamer, otherwise the villain (who is much easier to play vs all four turtles) spends a lot of time waiting while a slower turtle player figures out his play.

We thought the 3P game was a big step up in enjoyment, and seems to play much more as the designer intended. Conversations like "hey Mikey throw me a skateboard so's I can get this scumbag" vs sitting there in silence puzzling out your options.

YMMV of course.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, three is better than two, but I still enjoyed my plays one v one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mussino Mss
France
flag msg tools
mb
And i'll say it's also good solo. Just played the 1 and 2 from the book 1 and i totally lose the 2nd scenario.

I play 4 turtles and at the vilain turn just draw one card (max 2) from each minions decks (each card is separated with is one deck of miniatures). Works pretty well !!

Just a question, when a turtle or vilain gains all wound, he's ko but don't take a ko token at this moment right ?

If he's not played this turn he's just roll his defense + bonus and reach the max hit to regain health (8) if it's the case he stand and play actions however he gains 1 ko token right ?

But if it's the end of the round, does the ko turtles needs to roll the pool dice or keep the last roll and actions ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Mussino wrote:
Just a question, when a turtle or vilain gains all wound, he's ko but don't take a ko token at this moment right ?

If he's not played this turn he's just roll his defense + bonus and reach the max hit to regain health (8) if it's the case he stand and play actions however he gains 1 ko token right ?

If a hero has 0 health, he is knocked down. If on his next turn he fails to revive, then he gets a KO token.

Quote:
But if it's the end of the round, does the ko turtles needs to roll the pool dice or keep the last roll and actions ?

All heroes always roll all dice at the beginning of each round, unless a special rule specifically states otherwise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mussino Mss
France
flag msg tools
mb
Ok thx that's the way i played it ^^

Another question during my move i move 3 space for exemple and there is a ladder at 2spaces away. I have to pay 3 moves to enter in, 1 to the square adjacent and 2-3 to enter on the ladder tile correct ?

What if i use jump/bond card's skill if i'm at a rooftop to move to another rooftop ? Move then take 4 dices damage (block with my def+bonus) at the end of my jump or take nothing cause the card skill ?

I saw tonight on raph kick card there were a slice of pizza on this card. What does that mean, lose 2 health o regain 2 ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
Avatar
mb
Mussino wrote:
Ok thx that's the way i played it ^^

Another question during my move i move 3 space for exemple and there is a ladder at 2spaces away. I have to pay 3 moves to enter in, 1 to the square adjacent and 2-3 to enter on the ladder tile correct ?


Correct that move costs 3 of your move.

Quote:


What if i use jump/bond card's skill if i'm at a rooftop to move to another rooftop ? Move then take 4 dices damage (block with my def+bonus) at the end of my jump or take nothing cause the card skill ?



If you use the jump card to jump across a gap between two buildings you don't suffer any damage.

Quote:

I saw tonight on raph kick card there were a slice of pizza on this card. What does that mean, lose 2 health o regain 2 ?


Everything on the bottom right is a cost not a benefit. So I take that to mean Raph has to lose two health to use the Kick. It's why our Raph players almost never use the ability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire escapes count as slow terrain so yes, an extra move point to get on it.

You check for "fall damage" at the end of the leap so if there was no change in elevation for the landing there is no damage taken.

That is a cost to use the special move so Raph would have to "spend" health to activate it.

In case you haven't seen it, there has been an alpha FAQ that might cover some other queries (I believe rooftop leaping was covered in that, for example)
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/idw-transfer/kickstarter/...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mussino Mss
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thx Joe, so if i understand everything Leo jump, Donnie pole kick and mickey i'll throw you, can move 3 spaces straight away and ignore gap between 2 rooftop without taking damage ?

But if in a desperation turn a turtle need to jump from roof to the street he takes 4 dices battle.

It's obvious but the only way to not take damage is to use ladder, move into a garbage token (only from roof to street) or climb action (2 dices of movement).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mussino Mss
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thx for the FAQ, but i don't understand they say "When you leap do not check the falling until the end of the leap" So do i have to understand if i land on a rooftop or same level i take no damages or at the end of the leap i have to check 4 battle damages ? An example will be helpful :=)

Sorry guys... ^^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
Avatar
mb
Mussino wrote:
Thx for the FAQ, but i don't understand they say "When you leap do not check the falling until the end of the leap" So do i have to understand if i land on a rooftop or same level i take no damages or at the end of the leap i have to check 4 battle damages ? An example will be helpful :=)

Sorry guys... ^^


The FAQ means you check at the end of the leap/jump. If at the end of that leap or jump you have not changed elevation you are fine and don't have to take the damage test. If however you are at a lower elevation once the jump is complete you have to test for damage.

So if you jump across a gap between two buildings you are safe and take no damage.

However, if say a turtle on the edge of a roof wants to jump off to a lower level with no garbage or fire escape, to not be slowed, they would move the distance of the jump down to the ground. Then as they are at a lower elevation they would then have to do the damage test.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mussino Mss
France
flag msg tools
mb
Okay !!! Thanks a lot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.