Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife recently got a thermal laminator for school stuff for the kids and I've been using it to laminate PDFs from the files section of diff games with player aids, etc. that I print onto cardstock.

I have yet to use it on anything a bit harder to replace.

I'm thinking about laminating all of the scenario cards that came with the KS version, but before I dove headlong into that project I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the longevity of lamination or any other cons I should be aware of before I jump in.

Does the laminate ever split at the seams or break down with usage in any other way where I would be better off just using the cards as-is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Purely second-hand hearsay: over the years, I've usually heard people say it's a bad idea to laminate boardgame stuff because it does have problems over time (so I've never tried it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be leery as well, though have no experience. But you could photocopy the PlayerAid onto cardstock and laminate that, then no loss if something goes wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Brooks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I used to have access to a map laminator and used it for all my HASL maps. That was about 15 yrs ago, they're still all fine. Single sheet paper is also fine but thicker materials might delaminate. Also, trimming too close to the edges can cause de lamination.

Hope that helps.

Si

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had experience in submitting game materials (ie player aid sheets, thin player boards...for example the Eclipse boards) for lamination in the closest branch of the largest book store chain in my country, and so far the experience has been great and the result fantastic and durable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SiBootnek wrote:
I used to have access to a map laminator and used it for all my HASL maps. That was about 15 yrs ago, they're still all fine. Single sheet paper is also fine but thicker materials might delaminate. Also, trimming too close to the edges can cause de lamination.

Hope that helps.

Si

I'd be using standard 3 mil 9x11.5 pouches and not trimming.

Single sheet meaning like copy paper .. is cardstock considered "thicker"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used standard A4 pouches (UK) but this often requires some trimming when the product is using letter (US).

I use nail clippers to just ever so slightly round off the sharp corners.

I find the whole thing a bit hit and miss and have produced the odd area of non-adhesion, so had to run it through a second time. Also once, my feed got caught up inside the mouth of the laminator and an important original document, just sort of crunch up and then stuck like that as the laminated plastic set rock hard.

These days, I copy anything that needs laminating, preferring to keep the original 'safe' from the process and in any case, I limit this to frequently handled Quick reference Sheets for other players to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.