Subject: Family Friendly Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Harmon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have posted earlier about a variant that I was testing, but upon further review I found the following variant to be more enjoyable for my family.

The main problems I was trying to overcome were 1.)Cutthroat play of certain cards, and 2.)Overpowered cards that make the game unfair.

Here are my suggestions for making the game more Family Friendly :-)

1. All landmarks must be completed in order of their cost. This means that you will never be able to use the Airport's ability, and the Moon Tower is only useful for getting the Airport rather than shifting the game too early.

2. Remove all but one copy of each Restaurant card. Because of the "unique" requirement of cards in the market, each red card will come up eventually. This variation makes it so that one roll doesn't activate a plethora of red cards, which would have depleted your coins.

3. Remove the most annoying cards from the game completely. For my family, we removed Demolition Company, Moving Company, Business Center, and Member's Only Club. These cards took away the fun, which defeats the purpose of Family Game Night. ;-)

Let me know other suggestions you may have. I really like the game's mechanics, and it is easy enough for my 10-year-old to enjoy. I just fear that many families will get turned off to this game with its current content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just depends on how cut throat you like your games. We love cut throat at our house! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hanifin
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the tips. We picked this up for a group of 8-12 year olds at our library game club. It took us an hour and a half you finish the fans due to all of the cut throat back and forth. We lose kids before the hour mark so I came here looking for ways to limit the back and forth some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Tannahill
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I mostly like this as an option for young kids, except that I feel you really need to keep the Gentleman's Club in, as it serves an important balance role against some of the other 12-14 cards such as Tuna Boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.