Subject: Agnes v Ghoul Priest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Lo
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
This may be a silly question, but here's the scenario. I'm playing a solo game with Agnes only. I attempted to cast shriveling vs the Ghoul Priest. Both of us have one hit point left. Since I lost, he retaliates, killing me, but since Agnes also gains at least one horror in the process does her special ability also kill him? Do I win or am I eliminated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Agnes's special ability triggers after she is dealt horror. In cases where she is defeated (ie. the Ghoul Priest kills her, either through damage or horror), she's no longer in play for her 'after' ability to trigger -- she's done for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
From a rules perspective, it seems like Agnes doesn't have a chance to respond. As soon as you have lethal damage or horror you are out of the game immediately, I think, with no chance to respond to anything. Her ability doesn't trigger until 'After you take one horror', by which time you are already eliminated. It's possible that maybe your elimination from the game and her ability trigger at the same time, and if that is so the rulebook says that the lead investigator gets to decide what happens first when two abilities resolve at the same time.

If you want to look at it from a story perspective, I think you should 'win' the scenario but also take one horror. Storywise, when you are reduced to zero health or sanity in a scenario, you don't 'die'. You are simply knocked unconscious or driven temporarily insane, but you eventually recover. Your character only dies when they accumulate enough trauma (which carries over from game to game) to permanently reduce one of their stats to zero.

So I would say that the Ghoul Priest temporarily knocked you out, but that you destroyed him in the process (using your sorcerer powers). Then Lita Chantler would immediately help revive you and tell you
Spoiler (click to reveal)
that you've got to burn your house down
. That's what makes the most sense to me story-wise. So if it were me, I'd give Agnes one trauma and then pick either R1 or R2.

Ultimately you should choose whatever makes the most sense to you and will give you the most enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.