Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Been a while since I played Star Realms, but I seem to recall that ally powers only became available WHEN YOU PLAYED THE CARD.
ie, the first card of a faction that you play does NOT get it's "ally" ability triggered when you play a second card of the same faction, as there is not already a card of that faction in your tableau (ignoring champions for now). Just subsequent cards played of that faction get their abilities triggered.
ie, it makes a difference what order you play your cards down, with whichever card of a faction you play first NOT getting it's ally ability triggered.

And..if you have a champion out from earlier turns, the "first card" played that hand of the same faction as the champion DOES get it's ally ability triggered.

Am I just confusing things? (Wouldn't doubt it. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are.

Straight from the Hero Realms rulebook (and since the bulk of this rulebook was copied and pasted from the Star Realms, I suspect it says the same thing there):

On your turn, an Ally Ability may be used as soon as you have
another card of that faction in play. The order in which you play
your cards does not matter.

From a couple 1000 plays on the app, I can tell you that, yes, all ally abilities on all allied cards fire, regardless of which was played first. But only once. Meaning, playing a third allied card will not fire the ally abilities on the previous 2 cards a second time, nor will the third card ally ability fire twice.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
AJEddy wrote:
You are.
Hope this helps.

Very helpful.
Yeah, I thought I had things bass ackwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimo
United Kingdom
Winchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only just started playing Hero Realms, but I'm under the impression there is one important difference to the Star Realms app, which I've played plenty. On the SR app, as soon as I play a second card of the same colour, both ally abilities trigger immediately. E.g. If I play the blue freighter that gets me four coins and then play another blue card, the freighter's ally ability kicks in and the very next ship I buy goes on top of my deck.
However, in Hero Realms, the rules say "As soon as you have two or more cards of the same faction in play, you may trigger all relevant Ally Abilities. They may be used at any time during your main phase..."
So it seems ally abilities are enabled as soon as the second card of the same colour comes out, but I can use them at any point in my turn. The difference usually isn't important but it was useful in a couple of the games I played of HR last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the app, some things happen automatically for the sake of faster play. My post will talk about IRL rules.

The thing to keep in mind is that in both games when you play a ship/action/item the primariy ability happens immediately.
But all other abilities (including ship/action/item ally, scrap, base/champion primary, ally and scrap abilities) are triggered in any order you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Even after a card is 'expended',the ally ability on that card can still be activated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spartan67 wrote:
Even after a card is 'expended',the ally ability on that card can still be activated?

Yes, you may use the ally ability of a champion once per turn, as long as you have another card in play of the same faction. If it is expended or prepared does not matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.