H. E.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My gaming group just had its first stab at the Escape from Innsmouth scenario. Alas, it ended on a highly frustrating note, as we thought we had achieved victory conditions, only to realize that the app wouldn't let us win.

Here's what happened (so big spoiler alert for folks that didn't play the scenario yet!) in order:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
- we started in a hotel room in Innsmouth and were told by the app that we wanted to escape town
- we searched and found a secret way to the pier, where we...
- ...found a dead federal agent in a boat
- we came across a 2-way radio, with a captain talking to us and promising to get us and a federal agent out of town if we lit a lantern and rung a bell
- retrieved the agent's belongings from his room in the hotel
- didn't lit the lantern but rang the bell; as a result the ship crashed into the dock
- freed the ship
- moved all investigators onto it

Now when we told the captain to get us out of there fast, he refused, for he was still missing his agent. There was no option to tell him that the agent was dead. And since the agent's marker had disappeared with us searching his corpse, we couldn't bring his body along as evidence. So we stayed in the boat until the mob burned the pier down around us, and died trying to escape the town on foot...

Is the scenario really supposed to work like that? Did we miss some second federal agent, maybe? Or is the captain's refusal to leave a bug that occured because we found the dead agent *before* the captain told us to look for him? Why did his ship stay at the dock until it was too late to flee?

The strange ending left many of our group very much dissatisfied, so I'd really like to know if we did something wrong here?

edit: put the spoilers in spoiler tags

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB0rnW5_Aq0SjMT4PKQOYg
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi There,
You missed the agent who is still alive and well. His name is Craven and on the 3 times I have played (and lost) he has always been hiding away on the West side of the map . Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The's also another minor annoyance with that scenario: Spoiler for win condition

not only do you have to find the agent, then trigger the other things (lantern, bell), you then have to waste about 5 turns going back to him to tell him to get on the boat, then get yourselves back to the boat. Really unclear that you have to tell him to get on the boat. And annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. E.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your quick answers. So it wasn't a bug that kept us from winning, but a combination of rather unfortunate circumstances. :-/

Still, I am a bit miffed about the app not reacting to our situation.
The captain (in the dialogue you could engage with him on his ship) was always pressing for time. So, logically, at one point the captain *should* have left the harbour, even if some people were still not aboard his ship. That's what I'm missing here, and in its wake an ending monologue specific to such an outcome - an it's-only-partially-a-win ending in which we would've survived but blamed ourselves for the death of the agent for the rest of our lives.
Technically, this could (and should, I'd say!) have been incorporated into the scenario. It would've made the experience much more satisifying and scenario replayability higher, too.

Given the high price of the game, I'm a tad disappointed that, of all things, the game designers saved on the number of different endings possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Taylor
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its funny, we just played this scenario for the first time last night.

We seemed to be progressing incredibly well. No one badly hurt

Everything was going right, had the light source, found craven, mob started a fire, but were able to avoid it. Lit the lamp at the end of the dock only to discover we needed a large light to guide the boat. Tried to get into the last room that was unexplored, only to discover we needed a key that no one had. Both mobs were closing in on me, I was now on fire as I learned the last key was across the board from me. Investigator Eliminated..

Overall, I positively loved this scenario. It seemed to be going much better than any of my first scenario attempts. My only problem is how long it took and the two others were getting restless as they were new to the game and with explanation took almost 3 hours.

Still, this is one of my favs for a long time to come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burkemaster wrote:

Lit the lantern only to discover we needed a large light to guide the boat..

I don't understand what you mean when you say that after lighting the lantern you still needed a large light???? I've played this scenario 4 times and have never been asked for this. The requirement for me has only been to light the lantern and ring the bell

Edit: Spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Taylor
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had to light the lamp at the end of the dock (not the lantern, sorry)We never explored the room that I am assuming was a lighthouse. So we never knew we needed that. The old drunk guy had the key, but it was too late. When we lit the lamp the rescue captain signaled that he was good to get us, just needed a bigger light to guide him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok , now I understand , thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure whether maybe there were differences depending on certain criteria.

I know when we played this the 2nd time we made a dash for where we knew the drunk guy would be ...... and he wasn't there, he was at the opposite corner of the map instead lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On our first play through we got the exact same ending as you did, though after playing again it makes me wonder if our first play through was impossible to win after seeing where our missing agent was the second time round....

The spot where we found the alive agent in our second play through was where we had failed an influence check on out first play, but after we failed the explore token disappeared and was gone for the rest of the game therefore making it impossible to find the alive agent.....unless there is another way to come across him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jesters_race wrote:
On our first play through we got the exact same ending as you did, though after playing again it makes me wonder if our first play through was impossible to win after seeing where our missing agent was the second time round....

The spot where we found the alive agent in our second play through was where we had failed an influence check on out first play, but after we failed the explore token disappeared and was gone for the rest of the game therefore making it impossible to find the alive agent.....unless there is another way to come across him

That must be a glitch

Whenever I have played this if the influence check is failed then you can just continue to try again on another players turn - The app usually remembers how many successes have been inputted- In fact I just checked this again now and purposefully failed the influence check 4 times and the option to explore again is still there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkangeldown wrote:
jesters_race wrote:

That must be a glitch

Whenever I have played this if the influence check is failed then you can just continue to try again on another players turn - The app usually remembers how many successes have been inputted- In fact I just checked this again now and purposefully failed the influence check 4 times and the option to explore again is still there

I just went in and tried again and after failing it a couple of times it did stay there, so must have been a bug. A little disheartening to know after 2 and a half hours with the first play through was doomed due to a bug. I think I better keep this quiet from my gaming group as they may be a bit reluctant to play again if they know a bug in the app is going to ruin the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using the steam or the iOS app?- I always run the app on my PC (steam) for some reason I have more confidence in this than on my Ipad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yea was running it on steam (had the laptop connected to the TV)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.