Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... before everyone just says "A Feast for Odin" (may just be it) lol I would love to hear peoples opinions on what game I should get for my wife.

We both love the TV show Vikings and my wife is Norwegian. She also loves the Volsunga Saga (she's big on norse mythology).

I'd love to have a board game to play with her that provides the following.

Norse artwork
Thematic or evokes some sense of "viking", volsunga kind of thing.
No player elimination
as little "take that" and "screwing up what you build" as she lovingly puts it as possible.
good with 2 players

here is my immediate thoughts

*A Feast for Odin (i heard this is very mutiplayer solitare and like some interaction)
*Yggdrasil

Honestly thats all that I got... why I am here!

Thanks folks, appreciate your help

p.s. Geek Gold for people who help contribute to the wife effort!

xoxo

p.s.s. my wife is awesome
/end_rant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol It's more on the simpler end for when you're too tired for more so maybe Vikings lol - not sure it's dripping with vikingness though lol

Edit, although there's only interaction in the rondel part, then you're kind of on your own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
lol It's more on the simpler end for when you're too tired for more so maybe Vikings lol - not sure it's dripping with vikingness though lol

may need some dripping bud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then the only other thing I have is Champions of Midgard

I'm really not being very helpful am I whistle, sorry no other new posts and I can't sleep with nothing better to do than annoy people with random game suggestions lol. Your post was fun to read though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shyam Kumar
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about Asgard or Völuspá? Neither are based on the Volsung Saga, but both have elements of Norse mythology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yggdrasil is a very pretty game, and thematic as any, but so-so fun factor (IMHO).

My absolute favorite Viking-themed game is Raiders of the North Sea.

(...and it's worth your time to look at the whole The North Sea Runesaga
which includes Explorers of the North Sea and Shipwrights of the North Sea.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Champions of Midgard. It's one of my favorite thematic worker placement games and the Viking warrior dice are a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly Viking themed, but definitely Norwegian.

This game meets 4 out of 5 of your criteria.

Fjords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fate of the Norns: Gulveig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might take a look at In the Name of Odin some of the named character cards are lifted directly from the show, it does a decent job of trying to evoke a group of Norseman trying to outfit and go on a trading/raiding voyage. The only opportunity for messing directly with another player can be by passed and handled by the AI within the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I love Raiders of the North Sea, but there are some take that options. The first one in the trilogy, Shipwrights of the North Sea and part three - Explorers seemed less prone to scewage...maybe it's just about with whom you play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm, if she'd like a more humorous take, how about Trollhalla
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this a tough question. I've studied norwegian language and culture and would love to find a good game about norse mythology. To be honest, I haven't played any but whenever I read or watch a review, I hesitate. Many games seem too plastic/fantasy for me. I guess, what I want to say is: Be careful. Stay away from too much Ameritrash if your wife is Norwegian and likes norse literature and history.

A Feast for Odin might be a good choice. I liked how Uwe Rosenberg treated Fields of Arle with autheticity and honesty.

I don't know if Phil Eklund is your cup of tea (or mine for that matter) but you might check Greenland. It's not exactly Vikings but true to the theme of norse people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Really enjoy Champions of Midgard. Haven't played it as 2 player but otherwise seems to fit what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player games

Voluspa
Odin's Ravens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alli
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
I think Völuspá is a great little game! I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for, but it features a nice range of Norse gods/mythological creatures and gives them abilities that make reasonable sense. It's competitive without having too much "take that" and has no player elimination. It plays very well with 2 (that's usually how I play) and also well with 3-4, especially once all players understand the game.

A couple other games I haven't played but have seen mentioned are Blood Rage (on my wishlist) and Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May not fit your criteria, but Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game is a two player abstract game loosely based off of the Vikings TV show you mentioned. It's kind of like chess but with tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire and Axe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay away from Vikings Gone Wild. It doesn't work at 2 players :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your question inspired me to do a little more research (also on my own behalf).

Völuspá seems to be a nice 2p norse-mythology-themed game.
Then Hera and Zeus was re-themed as Thunder & Lightning. A third acclaimed 2p game would be Odin's Ravens (there's also a 2nd edition).

Last, Yggdrasil caught my attention as it caught yors. Looks like a very thematic norse-mythology-coop-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White Elk wrote:
My absolute favorite Viking-themed game is Raiders of the North Sea.

(...and it's worth your time to look at the whole The North Sea Runesaga
which includes Explorers of the North Sea and Shipwrights of the North Sea.)

So what can you say about the trilogy? It looks like Raiders received some interest, but the others didn't... (Because of the name?)
Is every game worth it (buying it instead of, say, Raiders and two completely different games that I might have on my wishlist)?
How do these games interact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoZsInAPod wrote:
A couple other games I haven't played but have seen mentioned are Blood Rage (on my wishlist) and Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga.
pacman88k wrote:
Fire and Axe
Warning: Blood Rage is heavy direct conflict and "screwing up what you build", and being Area Control does not work all that well 2 player. Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga is very heavy on the "take that" aspect - most of it comes from the Rune cards - and designed for 3-5 players.

I like Yggdrasil as a coop, though the game does tend to be easier with fewer players. However, there are additional Enemy cards included with the game to vary the difficulty level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.