Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Schneider
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've played the game three times and there seems to be two rules that I would adjust: starting hand-size and the discard as a result of building a monster of one faction.

Firstly, it seems the best open play is to spend your first actions drawing so you have more options when it comes to playing cards AND more to discard if you are forced to discard. As a result, starting with such a small hand-size is pointless if you are going to just draw more cards immediately.

Secondly, the discard from someone completing a creature of one faction can be devastating, especially in a game with more than two players. If your hand gets low and someone forces you discard two cards, you are basically forced to draw cards on your next turn. And if another player completes a creature and makes you discard, you basically skip two turns in a row. This sort of gameplay is unfun, especially in a simple, quick card game like this. Also, completing a creature of one color is a reward in itself since it's usually the result of being able to play two cards in one turn, and puts you one step towards winning. The discard also slows the game down a bit, though it's still quite quick.

I'll probably try the game a few more times as is, but I'm almost certain I'll be making a few small changes to the game. I like the simplicity of the game and the combo building, and the art is fantastic. But, add in those two flaws with the luck that comes into card draws, and someone may just not have fun experiences with the game. My proposed fixes if necessary are starting with a 7-8 card hand and the only discarding 1 card from a matching monster. I'm sure there could be quite a few different variants to the game due to its simplicity. May also be fun to toy around with different abilities associate with each icon that vary between games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Karmanov
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your feedback!

There are different strategies and not all of them involve drawing at the first turn.

The discard card mechanics works fine in our opinion. It prevents holding cards in hand. A problem to mention is the opposite when you have a lot of cards but no legs. In such case, at the beginning of the game, you can make an arrangement to discard the cards and draw a new hand if you have no legs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Schneider
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellanorsh wrote:
Thank you for your feedback!

There are different strategies and not all of them involve drawing at the first turn.

The discard card mechanics works fine in our opinion. It prevents holding cards in hand. A problem to mention is the opposite when you have a lot of cards but no legs. In such case, at the beginning of the game, you can make an arrangement to discard the cards and draw a new hand if you have no legs.

I guess I fail to see (as well as everyone I've played with) a reason to not draw turn one. If gives you more options over the course of the game and feeds into the combo building needed to succeed in the game. What are other good opening plays besides drawing two cards turn one? Also, have you all ever seen a problem with the first player having any sort of advantage?

I do think the discard mechanic is necessary, since it's a way to counter someone stalling to build a big hand. But, if someone does have a big hand, they are more likely to be able to just discard 1 card instead of 2. Maybe you are trying to keep people from rushing all their cards to the table and then losing cards by not having matching cards in hand for the discard bonus of completed monsters. The issue we had was that my wife had no lead and was at the end of two players completing matching monsters and making her discard a total of 4 cards since she had none that matched. Actually, it went like this. Player 3 completed a matching monster and player 1 had no matching cards in her two cards and lost both. And then once player 1 went again and drew 2 cards, player 2 then completed a matching monster and made that player lose two cards again since no card matching the new monsters faction. Player 2 essentially skipped two turns, which kept her from having any chance to catch up.

We did have an issue with one player having almost no legs at the beginning of the game, and quickly losing the one monster they did have to someones Scavenge. I know the discard X cards and then draw X/2 cards is in the game to fix getting stuck with dead hands, but it's an extremely inefficient way to fix a dead hand.

Now maybe I just have too much experience with card games and combo building and put my opponents at a disadvantage. But all three games I've played (one two player and two three player games), I won by a landslide.

Thanks for responding to my concerns. I do find the game really neat and I hope it can fill that slot of a quick, strategic card game with great art and theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.