Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor had ordered the upgraded player mats from the person who makes it in British Columbia and had given it as a gift to Don.
In player order, Jean was Phobolog, Trevor was UNMI, Don was Interplanetary Cinematics, while I was Econline. We were playing the standard game, with drafting.

I had 4 cards in my hand requiring energy loss, so I threw two of them away, and tossed Deimos down and Big Asteroid, leaving me with 6 cards. I have this theory that the "Take that" cards aren't that beneficial, and being Econline, at least 2 of the cards won't be seen until the deck is reshuffled.

Jean had kept 4 cards and played optimal aerobraking, followed by towing a comet. I played Noctis City to get up to 5 plants, but Jean played a comet and removed 3 of my plants (yawn). Don passed without playing a card, while Trevor played a Radiation Chemical Factory.

On turn 2, Jean played Nitrophase Moss, and Moss, to get up to 4 plant production, and I played Designed Microorganisms to get up to 5 plant production where I would remain the whole game. On turn 3, I get the card that lets you play an evergreen tile in an Ocean spot, and 2 more evergreen tiles lets me claim the Gardener milestone on turn 4. Trevor played a giant ice asteroid, but I had spent all my plants, so Jean lost 6 plants.

Jean claims Mayor on turn 5, while Trevor claims the Terraformer milestone on turn 6. Don should have gotten the builder milestone award before Trevor got to 35 TR, but to make up for his blunder, Don funds 2 awards on turn 7: miner and thermalist. It was around here that Jean played a card that increased his plant production by the number of plant tags he had in play, he had 5 so he was in double digits for plant production. But Jean didn’t have a lot of cities on the board, so a couple of times, when Jean placed a greenery tile, Trevor would build a city to take advantage of it.

I got down Pets fairly early, and was able to take advantage of a many cities, scoring 7 pts for the pets (and Jean had to give me 2 animals at one point playing a comet card) at game end.

I try to make a play for the Thermalist award by playing the 35 M€ card that gives 7 heat production. This will cut Jean out of second place, and forces Don to be careful about how he spends his heat.

On turn 8, Don funds the last award, the scientist award (he has 3 tags, I have 2 and Trevor has 1). I can’t find another science tag for the rest of the game, but Trevor finds another one so there is a tie for second.

In this game, the oceans went first, then the oxygen went up really fast with all the greenery tiles, and we had to wait for the heat to go up for the game to end. Once Jean was out of the thermalist race, he was able to convert heat to TR, while Don was able to calculate what he needed to stay ahead of me before the game ended, and I never got a chance to spend any heat for TR.

The game ended on turn 9 and Jean had worked his way up to 21 plant production! He said he kept plant production cards away from me for defence.

Scores:
Norbert 82 (28 TR, 5 gardener, 2 scientist, 2 thermalist, 10 greenery, 18 city, 17 cards),
Trevor 81 (47 TR, 5 Terraformer, 2 scientist, 3 greenery, 13 city, 11 cards),
Jean 75 (35 TR, 5 mayor, 2 miner, 11 greenery, 12 city, 10 cards),
Don 61 (27 TR, 5 scientist, 5 thermalist, 5 miner, 3 greenery, 9 city, 7 cards)

I am yellow, Trevor is green, Jean is blue, while Don is red.

I had the card which gives a VP for every 3 citys, worth 5 VPs, and 7 VPs for pets, so I was able to do well on the card bonuses. I was also efficient with my cities, scoring 18 pts, with one city being the capital city that gives pts adjacent to oceans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
I got down Pets fairly early, and was able to take advantage of a many cities, scoring 7 pts for the pets (and Jean had to give me 2 animals at one point playing a comet card) at game end.

I don't think he'd be required to place animals somewhere if possible; after all, he'd be able to play that card even if there was nowhere for the animals to go. I haven't been able to find anything in the rulebook or threads that specifically clarifies this, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorry Moller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The consensus in the following thread is that you can play the comet but you _can't_ add the animals to the opponent's card (even if you wanted to so that you could eat them with your predators).

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1658856/must-add-animals-op...

It's good enough for me, but an explicit clarification from the designers would be welcome too.

(ps - must get back to the Stampede one of these days...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the designers have thumbed the posts you summarize, it's pretty safe to consider them correct. A formal confirmation would be great, but you're certainly right.

On the original topic ... 21 plant production in a Standard game ... wow! Awesome accomplishment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LorryMoller wrote:
The consensus in the following thread is that you can play the comet but you _can't_ add the animals to the opponent's card (even if you wanted to so that you could eat them with your predators).

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1658856/must-add-animals-op...

It's good enough for me, but an explicit clarification from the designers would be welcome too.

(ps - must get back to the Stampede one of these days...)

Correct. In order to do something to your opponent, you need that red border on the icon. Towing A Comet doesn't have that.

Amazing plant production! Not enough for a win though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorry Moller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:
Given that the designers have thumbed the posts you summarize, it's pretty safe to consider them correct.

Ah thanks. I've lurked on bgg many years but this is the first game that I've been excited enough about to really comment on it a lot. Didn't realize you could see who liked/tipped you, i see how to see that now thx for the heads up!

(it's amazing how much information the bgg website packs into a small footprint on each post...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'm happy to have been helpful. Lurkers of the world, unite!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.