Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
Hi everybody!

I've been teaching myself the game on Tabletopia and I had a question regarding Patriarch Haulani's Leader ability.

"Inspiring Charisma (Free Action): He may place one of his active Workers on a Worker slot on his Player board, and take an Action there."

At first glance, this sounds like the normal place worker action. Or is the benefit that he gets to do it as a free action, so basically gets to place 2 workers at the same time, once per turn (similar to the Exosuit)? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Really looking forward to getting my copy of the game. Hope it ships soon.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think the benefit is that he can do it whenever he can take a free action, and not be restricted by the regular turn restrictions.

Looking forward to the official answer though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it the same way as you. Additional free worker placement action, since its trigger is from a free action.

Quoting page 10 of the rule book as well:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
This is once per turn since you have to place your free action path toke on the action space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electricalstorm wrote:
This is once per turn since you have to place your free action path toke on the action space.

No, it's once per era. A turn is placing one worker (the normal way), then the turn passes to the next player, and so on, until each player pass. You have multiple turns each era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Amann
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once per Era Haulani may use it's special ability as a free action to place a (second) worker without an Exosuit. This may come very useful powering your time machine to reach a certain era, supplying your workers or using any other buildings / superprojects before you move in to New Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
My mind said era. My thumbs typed turn. Era is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
Awesome, thanks everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happybeingdumb wrote:
Hi everybody!

I've been teaching myself the game on Tabletopia and I had a question regarding Patriarch Haulani's Leader ability.

"Inspiring Charisma (Free Action): He may place one of his active Workers on a Worker slot on his Player board, and take an Action there."

At first glance, this sounds like the normal place worker action. Or is the benefit that he gets to do it as a free action, so basically gets to place 2 workers at the same time, once per turn (similar to the Exosuit)? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Really looking forward to getting my copy of the game. Hope it ships soon.

-Brian

Can you play a game solo on tabletopia ? do you need a certain membership , I thought it wouldn't start until someone joined a room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
Can you play a game solo on tabletopia ? do you need a certain membership , I thought it wouldn't start until someone joined a room?

Last time I tried was during the beta, but you could start the game from the lobby at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
SpecularRain wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

Last time I tried was during the beta, but you could start the game from the lobby at any time.

Like Adrian said, you can start from the lobby at any time.

You get into the game lobby screen, then when it looks like you're waiting for people, and it says "1/2 players" at the top, just hit the start button. It looks grayed out, but it's not. The game should load up with you being the only person in the game room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Gasparetti
Italy
Trecastelli
An
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happybeingdumb wrote:
Hi everybody!

-Brian

I don't understand a thing: may I place a worker in a already used slot on my board? In the statement above it is not specified if it should be free. In this last case I really don't see the utility of the power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the slot has to be free. The utility is the ability to place 2 workers during your turn instead of one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Gasparetti
Italy
Trecastelli
An
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cycyx wrote:
Yes, the slot has to be free. The utility is the ability to place 2 workers during your turn instead of one...

So the power is quite useless. I can find it useful if I can go with the exosuits (like one superproject does) and stealing actions, but in this way it could help in very few situations, in which you have buildings (so at the end of the game)that interact with each other.
I missed to interpret the rules for this reason, that is the lack of utility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gapsxever wrote:
cycyx wrote:

So the power is quite useless. I can find it useful if I can go with the exosuits (like one superproject does) and stealing actions, but in this way it could help in very few situations, in which you have buildings (so at the end of the game)that interact with each other.

It's useful in many situations, since you can skip a turn in making preparations for certain (main board) actions:
- only 1 worker left and I need to do main board action fast with an exosuit: use last worker for supply action. Then send worker in exosuit for 2nd action
- set focus on certain era AND build superproject in 1 turn (especially nasty when another player has set focus there in his previous round and you're pretty sure he wants to build it too)
- need water to supply (send worker to water building) AND supply in one round (enables to send out exosuits 1 turn faster)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gapsxever wrote:
cycyx wrote:

Try the following scenarios:
- it's your turn, you're short by 2 money to build an awesome building, there is a free spot on construct, and you have a blue building that as an action could give you 5 water.
- it's your turn, you have everything you need to build the superproject in a previous era. The player in front of you have just warped back to that era, and also has everything they need to build the same superproject.
- you have lots of water, your morale is high (for added dramatic effect, imagine you have a morale-related evac, or the endgame goal is out), and you only have 1 non-tired worker (but more exosuits). There is a spot open on whatever action you desperately wanted to take. Do you use your worker on that action, and then force the workers (thus losing morale), or supply the workers thus might lose out on your desired main action.

Now think it over how useful Haulani's ability is to break these situations. In essence, it turns one of your buildings into a free action. There is plenty of benefit for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Gasparetti
Italy
Trecastelli
An
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok you're right, I got the point.
At the same time I find other powers more useful and less situational.:whistle

However I like very much this game, and I'm looking forward to trying the expansion modules.

Thank you all for the explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think being able to supply your workers without wasting a turn is one of the most powerful abilities in the game, and definitely one of the most universally useful. Only Hualani and the Dominance B-side player board gives this ability (at least from the start of the game).

I think this kind of "disagreement" over strategy and abilities (as also expressed in a few other threads) show that Anachrony really has succeeded in making many different paths and strategies viable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.