15 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: *Spoilers* How are you supposed to complete the run so fast? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
^ It feels like there's no way to do it within the first or second run, or even within the time limit during the third run without knowing how to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
For the base game, I don't think you're supposed to be able to complete it on the first 2 runs. During that time you'll be figuring out what's important and what's not, and unlocking map locations, so that on your third run, you know what you need to do. There are a couple of spots which are time wasters if you get into them, but I think it's quite possible to get through within the allocated time in the third run. The key is really keeping track of exactly what you want to do and what items you need, so that you aren't taking up extra time searching for things.

I haven't played all of the expansions, but the one I have played also took us 3 times through. That's a core mechanic of the game, resetting and trying again with new information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's one of the problems I have with the game. It's possible to complete on the first run - just - but you have to know exactly where to go and what to do, and there's still a moderate chance of getting some bad rolls making it impossible to successfully complete the run. If you don't mind the reset and rerun mechanics, it's fine - but if that bothers you, it can absolutely ruin the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
For the base game, I don't think you're supposed to be able to complete it on the first 2 runs.

Well, I have witness a 3 players group solving it in two runs (out of the 5 that I have seen playing). So it is definitly possible.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tekshi wrote:
^ It feels like there's no way to do it within the first or second run, or even within the time limit during the third run without knowing how to play the game.
A scenario can be done in one run (posts on BGG claim to have done so), but are designed so that they are more likely to require multiple runs, that's the basic premise of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be a failure of the design of a game intended to feature looping through time if the introductory game could be reasonably completed without ever experiencing that feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
amikezor wrote:
markblasco wrote:
For the base game, I don't think you're supposed to be able to complete it on the first 2 runs.

Well, I have witness a 3 players group solving it in two runs (out of the 5 that I have seen playing). So it is definitly possible.

cheers

I don't doubt that it's possible, but find it to be really unlikely, and my guess is that very few groups have done this (or at least, have done it while playing the rules correctly). I can see how it would be possible, though.

If they were to design it in such a way that it wasn't possible to get through in 2 runs, it would likely end up being really difficult for a lot of people to do well on the third run. The more things you have to remember, the more likely you'll forget what to do and have to backtrack.

My group thoroughly enjoyed the progress, and I can't wait to try another expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can complete the game on your third run, then you can (in theory) complete it on the first run. You would just have to be REALLY lucky in your choices, and ordering of activities. So lucky, that it is practically impossible (just not actually impossible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
Octavian wrote:
I think it would be a failure of the design of a game intended to feature looping through time if the introductory game could be reasonably completed without ever experiencing that feature.

It's more a failure of the scoring system at the end to make it impossible to get a perfect score. Rather it should have made the maximum score something possible in the 2nd or 3rd run. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to get the lowest score, and would've almost preferred not having it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the thing associated with scoring, the score is mostly redundant. Play, enjoy, score, next mission please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Francois
Belgium
Bruges
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
Other than the thing associated with scoring, the score is mostly redundant. Play, enjoy, score, next mission please.

I agree with Scooperman.

TIME Stories was the first game I played in a long long time where the story simply sucked me in (and the rest of the players as well). And playing a game that achieves that with a group of seasoned board game players is magical.

Scoring nor completing the story in one run was ever a discussion. We did have discussions on visiting some locations we knew that weren't going to take us to the solution, but we're simply curious what we'd find there. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
If you can complete the game on your third run, then you can (in theory) complete it on the first run. You would just have to be REALLY lucky in your choices, and ordering of activities. So lucky, that it is practically impossible (just not actually impossible).

I don't think this is technically true, as typically what makes it possible to complete it faster in later runs is the fact that you keep certain cards (like locations) from run to run. With those in place, you are definitely able to do things in a new order and finish things more efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tekshi wrote:
Octavian wrote:

It's more a failure of the scoring system at the end to make it impossible to get a perfect score. Rather it should have made the maximum score something possible in the 2nd or 3rd run. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to get the lowest score, and would've almost preferred not having it.

Well if it makes you feel any better the scoring does change it up with Prophecy of Dragons and makes it more merit based rather than quickest route based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Wood
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to The Asylum, The Marcy Case, and A Prophecy of Dragons in one run.
It is, however, highly unlikely.
The reward system for good score is not intended to be achievable for anyone who isn't well versed in the scenario.
Rather, it's an incentive for replay in a game with low replay value.

Consider these options for playing:

1) Each scenario is a stand alone experience. Just enjoy each of the games and don't care about score. Many players will fall into this demographic.

2) Perfectionists will want to know everything about the scenario. They will play over and over again with either the same people, or with different people, to get that perfect score or to see every card first hand. This is the demographic I fall into, so the scoring works well for me. I just don't expect to achieve it first try; I have something to look forward to in repeat play.

3) Campaign players get the most out of the beacon system. It allows for a marathon of T.I.M.E. Stories where the save game feature is utilized to the fullest when there is limited time to play. This allows the players to start with The Asylum as the first leg of the marathon and truck all the way to whatever the current ending scenario is. I will most likely do this with a static group of players when I feel there are enough expansions to exhaust the players into making mistakes.

Viewing it this way gives the scoring system context as to how it affects different types of people and lets you assess your own engagement level with it. All alone with no context, the system is a curious artefact that doesn't really fit with the exploratory theme of the game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
(Note that Under the Mask is virtually impossible in one run without beacons or uncannily perfect luck and Expedition Endurance is literally impossible in one run. Luckily, Expedition Endurance reflects as much with a unique scoring system. Too bad Under the Mask doesn't do the same, but max score is possible on the second run.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayley Margules Arden
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
In the Designer's Kit, the devs say that it's impossible to complete Asylum in one run, as you need 30 TUs and start play with 25.

We've taken three playthroughs for two of the three games we've played. Marcy took us two playthroughs, with 10 TUs left over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.