BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: AR Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Kopetzky
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
So I was looking through other peoples WIP posts and I thought of something. With the rise of new app controlled board games I was wondering how difficult it could be to make an AR board game. So here is my idea. Think of a fantasy/alchemy game where the goal is to summon powerful monsters or adorable pets and sell them on a market place. To do this you would place cards in different combinations on a table and point the camera at them. The program would process the image and add in the AR creature. The combinations of cards and patterns would change every game and could end up with tons of replay possibilities. Obviously this is all super rough ideas but I thought it would be neat way to add interesting technology to board games. Figured I would just leave this here though and see what people think. Maybe someone could use it as inspiration or something. =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

AR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Walters
United States
Fenton
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
from context, I think his AR = augmented reality

ala Pokémon Go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Identifying a small number (maybe 2-4) of specially-designed cards and superimposing some CGI on top of them sounds entirely feasible technologically. Identifying the cards will be harder than you probably imagine, but clearly some games have adequate working solutions.

I think the value proposition is questionable, though. You'll need non-trivial investments in programming and artwork to get it working, and it sounds like the addition it makes to your game is mostly cosmetic. Will that cosmetic upgrade generate enough interest in your game to offset the cost of development? Unclear.

If I were going to go to that amount of trouble, I would want to try to figure out some way for it to enhance the gameplay, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few attempts, but for now, the biggest hurdle from those attempts is the time it takes to get the device to recognize the images on the card/board and having the overlay work well without losing control over the images and still making it faster than non-technology based solutions.

Case in point was one person trying to make a wargame-style urban boardgame to use a kind of fog of war process to hide/expose units in a street map where turning the phone would show you what was visible from different vantage points. The problem with the phone identifying the board image correctly as you turned the phone and having it process the moving of the phone accurately was that it was slow and depended a lot on how much light was on the board so that the app could interpret the image and orientation accurately.

Add in the fact that it was something that didn't really give much benefit for all of the work is an unfortunate part of the resulting process. The closet I've seen to similar technology was in Alchemists, which needed a lot of light on the cards for the app to identify the cards correctly and while it works for that game, it's far simpler than any of the AR wishes I've seen from other developers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.