Subject: Which expansions/adventures are the best for solo play ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having huge fun with Descent2 and the App in solo mode, I want to play Runebound adventuring.

Do you play 1 hero or do you play with 2 and try the best for these 2?

Which expansions gives you the best for this kind of solo play ?

TY in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
After having huge fun with Descent2 and the App in solo mode, I want to play Runebound adventuring.

Do you play 1 hero or do you play with 2 and try the best for these 2?

Which expansions gives you the best for this kind of solo play ?

TY in advance.

I play 1 hero. Fall of the Dark star is a PVP scenario - that's the only one that doesn't work well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the 2 x smaller expansions slightly over the Runebound (Third Edition): Caught in a Web – Scenario Pack expansions only because the smaller expansions add to the normal encounter pool and therefore give a little more randomness to that deck... But I would still highly recommend all 3 ideally since a 3rd scenario will help bring more variety too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tx, so I should only avoid Fall of the Dark Stat then ...

And I suppose the solo is done with just one character ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
Tx, so I should only avoid Fall of the Dark Stat then ...

And I suppose the solo is done with just one character ?

Yes avoid Dark Star for now, it's fun if you eventually play it with someone else (2p) as it really gives a great finale.

With solo I only ever play a single hero though I know there are those that enjoy soloing with more than 1 to make it feel like an adventure party
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but for those of you who play 1 hero only: do you advance the time track after 1 hero turn (taking the normal 3 actions)?

Or do you take 2 hero turns (taking 6 actions) to more closely mimic having 2 heroes in the game, and then advance the time track? Although I can't help feeling this could lead to the 1 hero becoming super powerful?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darla wrote:
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but for those of you who play 1 hero only: do you advance the time track after 1 hero turn (taking the normal 3 actions)?

Or do you take 2 hero turns (taking 6 actions) to more closely mimic having 2 heroes in the game, and then advance the time track? Although I can't help feeling this could lead to the 1 hero becoming super powerful?!

I've always played solo (1 character) by advancing the time track after 1 hero turn (3 actions) and found the game pretty challenging. I've only won twice out of around 8 to 10 games I would estimate. Both times were with the same character Lord Hawthorne and I attribute those victories to being very fortunate in easily obtaining skills and equipment that worked well with Lord Hawthorne and made him a killing machine.

I'd be curious to try the game by advancing the time track after taking two turns like you mentioned instead of one and see how well it plays using a single character. I may enjoy that better considering my horrible losing rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Darla wrote:

I've always played solo (1 character) by advancing the time track after 1 hero turn (3 actions) and found the game pretty challenging. I've only won twice out of around 8 to 10 games I would estimate. Both times were with the same character Lord Hawthorne and I attribute those victories to being very fortunate in easily obtaining skills and equipment that worked well with Lord Hawthorne and made him a killing machine.

I'd be curious to try the game by advancing the time track after taking two turns like you mentioned instead of one and see how well it plays using a single character. I may enjoy that better considering my horrible losing rate.

I thought it could be tough to win with 1 hero taking 1 turn. From what you're saying it sounds like it IS tough to win that way!

Although unfortunately if 1 hero takes 2 turns then I think that would offset the balance too much the other way and it would be too easy.

Like you say, perhaps it's worth giving it a try to find out. I might get chance to try it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why the game would be more or less difficult in with different numbers of players in relation to player turns. A single character has the same exact number of turns whether they are alone or if there are three other players.

Can someone explain this concept?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
I don't understand why the game would be more or less difficult in with different numbers of players in relation to player turns. A single character has the same exact number of turns whether they are alone or if there are three other players.

Can someone explain this concept?

You are right. The only possible difference is that the markets get refreshed by other players so you are likely to see more of the available perks. The gameclock is geared to knowing and using all the game systems to the fullest. You need to acquire skills, use exert and get equipment fast. Playing this with a sandbox adventuring Runebound 2e mindset will get you killed at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, you're right that there would be the same number of turns for each character/hero. I may well be barking up the wrong tree!

However, I was thinking for the Vorakesh Corpse King scenario it would be harder for 1 hero to clear a lot of the zombies off the board when they're spread over the board. It's quite a lot of distance for 1 hero to cover alone. Which makes the final fight against Vorakesh tougher.

It's strange though because the first time I played Runebound, I played the High Lord Margath scenario with Elder Mok and Laurel of Bloodwood a couple of times and I beat Margath both times. I ended up thinking the scenario was a bit too easy. (I've played Margath a few more times and won every time. I've double checked that I've been playing right!).

This afternoon I've played High Lord Margath with only Elder Mok and I was defeated in the last fight against Margath and he was only 3 spaces away from Tamalir.

One game playing one hero is not giving a realistic picture yet, but I felt like the time was running out and I hadn't got Elder Mok beefed up enough. But I had to fight Margath because he was getting too close to Tamalir.

I'm going to play a few more games with 1 hero and see how my win rate turns out. (Although I know the cards drawn, dice rolled and decisions made will effect the outcome of the game as well!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, certainly. The Vorakesh scenario is widely understood to be a scenario that does not scale well with fewer players. It seems to have been designed as a four-player scenario. It is very difficult at three and borderline impossible at two or fewer players. I'm sure it could be done, with a lot of luck with story cards.

Margath and Ariad should be very possible as solo endeavors, even without any house-rule modifications.

Although, as it has been discussed in other threads, you could implement house rules to simulate the effects of other players on the Skill deck by discarding a few cards off the top of the deck and the shop inventories by replacing a card from each the store inventories, between each of your character's turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the info. I'm a complete newbie to Runebound so I haven't read all the forums. I pretty much decided that it looked like something I would enjoy from watching J-Play's playthrough videos.

I have found Vorakesh really tough. Now I know it's not just me!

I'll persevere with 1 hero against Margath and try the houserules with regards to the Skill and Asset cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.