Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some ponderings here, as I'm thinking I might have been making a mistake, just wanted to run this by some of the others here.

If a character is dead, can anything be done to that corpse (aside from the Alien resurrecting him/her)? For example, could Spreading move Goodwill to a corpse? One of the scripts in the game, the writeup in the mastermind guide hints at using this to hide some information, but now that I think on it, I wonder if that's actually possible...

The other thought I had was wondering if the Shrine Maiden's 5 GW ability can reveal the role of a corpse, or is it limited to living characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I'm not really an expert on ruling (considering I'm actually asking you things for the past couple of days) but as I recall there was a statement in the manual (or maybe in an expansion?) saying that corpses are no longer considered characters, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was re-reading the rules and came across that myself, so I figured I'd put the question out to the rest of the community, maybe get some feedback from others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucille Jean-Baptiste
United States
flag msg tools
I'm not really sure myself but I'll offer my 2 cents anyway.

The issue with Spreading is really interesting as it brings into question what is a viable target for an incidents. Cuz I believe in one thread here it was confirmed that Faraway Murder can be used as a 'suicide' but I forgot if in that same thread corpses' we're discussed also... I'll look for it in a bit.

I don't think you can use the Shrine Maiden's ability on a corpse. My reasoning being the Forensic's special ability specifically states that he has the power to reveal a corpse's role. The fact that the specificity exists and that they both require the same amount of goodwill leads me to think that the Forensic's ability is there to fill an ability gap that the protagonist's used to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Corpses aren't characters. Shrine Maiden can't reveal a corpse's role because her ability reveals the roles of characters, and corpses aren't characters. Spreading can't move goodwill to or from a corpse because Spreading moves goodwill between characters, and corpses aren't characters.

In general, only stuff that explicitly mentions corpses like the Alien can interact with corpses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the relevant section, emphasis mine
Page 6 of the Player's Handbook wrote:
Whether a character is alive or dead is shown by how the card is laid on the board. A living character is placed vertically and a dead character is placed sideways. A dead character is a “corpse”and can not use any abilities, nor has any traits, nor is it even considered a character, but any Goodwill counters they have stay where they are. There is one character in the game who can resurrect corpses.

Given that, I agree with Roberta. Neither action can target a corpse. For the same reason, Serial Killer ignores corpses.

If Shrine Maiden didn't specifically say "in this location", I think it could be argued that it means a character at any point in the game.

Now I'm looking over other cases where this might apply. Butterfly Effect and Brain, certainly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.