Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished case 7, The Banker's Quietus. I loved it, one of the best put together so far. However, some detail was very frustrating to me,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I assumed Nate Cook was the murderer, since he was a known jewel thief and because I couldn't find him. The fact that I apparently had to go back to the newspaper of the very first case to read in what prison he had been placed, inspired me to vent my frustration here.
I visited Old Bailey in hopes of finding some trace of his past convictions, but re-reading all the newspapers for every game was a little too much trouble for me.

As such, I had no idea who Errol Hawk was, even though I had found Violette Blue and followed her to Waterloo Station, ready to apprehend her and Cook.

Gah! angry

Anyway, 8 leads (9, minus 1 for Waterloo), and 70pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this case quite recently and
I must admit I enjoy going through the previous papers which include so much period detail. Holmes used the papers a lot in the Canon which is why I guess they are such an important part of certain cases.

Good score BTW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dom5 wrote:
I played this case quite recently and
I must admit I enjoy going through the previous papers which include so much period detail. Holmes used the papers a lot in the Canon which is why I guess they are such an important part of certain cases.

Good score BTW

Yep! Great score!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty happy with the score, but
not getting the murderer right feels like a failure.

I'm not saying it's not clever, because it is, but I really can't be arsed to go through all the newspapers every time, so I go through the latest and the last one usually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Adamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally, I really enjoy going through the papers a lot. When you find something like this it's so satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Four of us play as a family. I take notes, Audrey and Phil read, and Simon examines the newspapers. We switch roles to help us fully grasp what the others have seen, but mostly, each of us does what we do best. I think I would get bored ploughing through newspapers, especially as we have now done 9 of the ten cases, but Simon is good at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But hoe does one find Violet's surname?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:

That was the big problem for us in this case. I think you have to plough carefully through hundreds of names in the directory until you come across one that fits! I'm okay with hidden information, but that's just boring. (We failed to do that, but did okay at the rest of the case.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
BlackSpy wrote:

That was the big problem for us in this case. I think you have to plough carefully through hundreds of names in the directory until you come across one that fits! I'm okay with hidden information, but that's just boring. (We failed to do that, but did okay at the rest of the case.)

I've found elsewhere now that apparently the paper is missing it's entertainment section, which should give you her name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Isaak
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we found this out here on BGG in the midst of working on Case 7, and thankfully got back on track.

I have the 2012 Ystari edition, did later Ystari editions include the missing newspaper article about the relevant performance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wahlstedt
Sweden
Nyköping
flag msg tools
mbmb
dwjmeijer wrote:

I assumed Nate Cook was the murderer, since he was a known jewel thief and because I couldn't find him. The fact that I apparently had to go back to the newspaper of the very first case to read in what prison he had been placed, inspired me to vent my frustration here.

There is another way to get that information. At least in the original 1984 edition:
If you visit Disraeli O'Brian, he provides the information about Nat Cook's current location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.