Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game works well for two-player challenges? It remains valid in your opinion? Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The are some limitations with two. It plays well with two but I'd better with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi,

I think 2 players games with the base set are great, but it really doesn't feels as good as a 3 or more players game. The main reason for that, in my opinion, is that your are less likely to get that feeling that you need to defend your territory since players are pretty far away for each other. On the other hand, if you don't like fighting against the other player, you might find your game very satisfying.

If you really want to enjoy Eclipse with 2 players, I would strongly recommend buying the Rise of the Ancients extension as it will add more combats against the ancients. Sadly, I've been told that it is out of print so I hope you'll be lucky enough to get your hand on a copy.

Best regards and good gaming,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say 2 players is better than not playing at all but maybe look at this...

2 player>4 player or 6 player

I am playing a PBEM with each of us running 2 races and it is working. I like it better than the standard 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Paino75 wrote:
This game works well for two-player challenges? It remains valid in your opinion? Thank you.

It is ok as a 2 player game, but much better as a 4+ player game.

In two player, it isn't at all unusual for one player to get a huge leg up early, and just steamroller the other player. Which on the one hand, is grim. But on the other hand, the game is gonna be quick, so it probably doesn't matter much and you can just start a new game, as a 2 player game of Eclipse tends to last less than an hour anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It works perfectly fine as a two player game, but I wouldn't buy it solely for that purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the beauties of Eclipse is how different it feels with different numbers of players.

5-6 players is quite chaotic, and my favorite. The options for sneak attacks is high because of the sheer volume of players. It does take a while to play, unfortunately.

4 players is terrific, as you get a bit of diplomat trading and multiple opponents. It also doesn't take too long to play.

3 players is interesting, no diplomats and your strategy is quite simple....everyone is watching both neighbors, ready to squash someone if they get too strong. If players are playing carefully, no-one will get an overwhelming advantage--and, at the same time, no one will be crushed and then picked on, because you have to draw back because of the third player. (3 player sucks if two ally together and just pick on the 3rd player, even though that hands the victory to one of the two players.)

2 player Eclipse is quite good. All of your focus is on one person and optimizing your own play. If both players are comparable skill-wise, this can really sharpen your playing skills. There is less chaos in 2p, which some do not like--it's a very different game.

The only real downside to 2p has been mentioned....every once in a while, a player will just get a phenomenal start and the other player will not have a chance. However, a two player game isn't that long (if they both know how to play) and if someone really steamrolls, it will be even shorter. So you would probably only be at the table for less than an hour. And this is a GREAT opportunity to improve your skills....identifying exactly why he ran away with the game can really help you identify the critical 'tipping points' in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.