Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I knew how to use the Overwatch modifiers to hit until I was looking through some older rule posts and noticed Jim's reply to a Overwatch situation.
I thought that in the example shown that overwatch against both unit's 2 and 3 would be the -1 modifier and not -3 as Jim suggests.
I think I may be missing something either in the rules or the example.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1628821/turretless-360-vehi...

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overwatch within the field of view of the turret is -1 row

However in the examples 2/3 the vehicles will need turn the turret for the shot to hit

I.e. Overwatch and adjust turret. Which is -3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ps. Have a look at basic rule set. Page 15.
Quote:
Overwatch/CIS If the firing vehicle is executing Overwatch Fire at a target located within its Front (or rear) 60°, 120°, or 180° Field-of-Fire—the modifier is –1. This is applicable whether the vehicle is Turreted, Turretless 360°, or Non-Turreted. If it is equipped with a Commander Independent Sight (see 7.48)— the modifier is 0. The Rear Field-of-Fire is used for those Non-Turreted vehicles with a rear facing gun. Keep in mind that the Target Moving modifier is also applicable in addition to this modifier if triggered by movement. Overwatch Adjust/CIS If the firing vehicle is executing Overwatch Fire at a target located outside of its Front (or Rear) 60°, 120°, or 180° Field-of-Fire—the modifier is –3. Only Turreted and Turretless 360° vehicles may execute Overwatch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gazman, what got me confused is the wording below. I took it if the firing vehicle is firing in its front, either 60, 120 or 180 degrees its -1.
But is it 60 degrees for turreted, 120 degrees for turretless 360 and 180 degrees for non-turreted. Is that correct?

Quote:
Overwatch/CIS If the firing vehicle is executing Overwatch Fire at a target located within its Front (or rear) 60°, 120°, or 180° Field-of-Fire—the modifier is –1.
[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at this - think this answers your question

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1611564/overwatch-fields-fi...

Jim's comment

i play with the turrets optional rule 7.8

ps this might be useful too

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1711492/turret-field-fire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Gaz Man,
Jim's answer of 60 degrees for FOF in overwatch (-1 modifier) for Turreted vehicles answers that question but there was no answer about the Turretless 360 vehicles and Non-Turreted vehicles.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See also jims answer here

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1629001/optional-rules-fiel...

So turretless non turret have 360 Degree field of fire. See for example the us humvee data card with a heavy machine gun

Or us. M48 chaparral

Hope that clears it up

Ps hope you enjoying the game

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic games field of fire is All around for Turreted vehicles(TT1,TT2,TT3).
All around for Turretless 360 vehicles.
Limited for Non Turreted vehicles(TT60,TT120,TT180).

As it was both Overwatch modifiers that I was confused with when to use but think I have it now.
When a Turreted vehicle uses Overwatch fire within its 60 degrees firing arc it gets the -1 to hit, if out of that arc its adjusted to -3.
Turretless 360 vehicles uses Overwatch fire within its 120 degrees firing arc it gets the -1 to hit, outside of that arc then its adjusted to -3.
Non-Turreted vehicles using Overwatch in there 180 degrees firing arc gets the -1 and when firing outside that arc its adjusted to -3.
Im sure thats it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok im getting myself confused too - i reread the rules in the basic manual pages 13-15

so for overwatch

Turretless 360 vehicles can fire at targets all round but the arc of fire for non adjust is 60 degrees (ps ive played this wrong - assumed 360 )- "Section 4.4.3.1.2 Turretless 360° Vehicles states that they are the same as turreted vehicles with a front field-of-fire as illustrated in section 4.4.3.1.4 Front Fields-of-Fire."

Note Non turret vehicles - "Only Turreted and Turretless 360° vehicles may execute Overwatch Fire at target vehicles located outside of the firing
vehicle’s Front (or Rear) Field-of-Fire." ie a no turret vehicle with a field of fire of 120 - can fire in this arc but would need to move to fire outside it !!!

and yes you are right on the
Quote:
The basic games field of fire is All around for Turreted vehicles(TT1,TT2,TT3).
All around for Turretless 360 vehicles.
Limited for Non Turreted vehicles(TT60,TT120,TT180).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, thanks for that info.
So Non-Turret can fire within there FOF ( 60, 120 or 180 ) with Overwatch Fire with the -1 modifier. They cannot use Overwatch Fire outside there firing arc.
Turreted (TT1,TT2 and TT3)and Turretless 360 can use Overwatch fire within there 60 degree firing arc with the -1 modifier and outside that 60 degree's with the -3 modifier.

Thanks Gaz Man for the help.

Mark

PS. Sorry for getting you confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaz Man
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot on - that's how i read it - from the rules and Jims comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading 7.16 of the optional rules I now think that the modifiers we thought for the Turretless 360 were wrong.
I now think a Turretless 360 vehicle receives only the -1 modifier if firing outside its front arc.

Mark
EDIT- Jim has answered on the CSW forum that the Turretless 360 does not apply the OW Adjust -3 modifier, it uses the -1 modifier for all OW fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.