Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished playing a couple of Familienbande games this weekend (original German version (c)2003), and just checked whether I had missed anything in the rules by going through the rules files here on BGG.

Then I noticed that both translations contain the same error (at least I think its an error as there only seems to be the original German version).

In the German rules it says (after playing a child):
After playing a descendant, the player MAY - but this is not mandatory - discard a (closed) card AND replace this card by a card from the draw pile.

In the translated rules it says: After playing a descendant a player MAY NOT draw a new card. (no mention of discarding)

I think it makes a huge difference, and I hope some may benefit from this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Holy smokes, I've been playing this game since 2004 with the wrong rule and still loving it! This corrected rule would go some way towards eliminating the one real complaint that my wife and I have against the game: Sometimes you just don't draw cards with your genetic traits, which means you're hoping the other person will accidentally play them. Thanks for the catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Probably the old "musse nicht" problem rearing its head again. I'll fix up one of the translations in the next few days. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original sentence is:

Wer Nachkommen ins Spiel bringt, darf - muss aber nicht - zusatzlich noch eine seiner Karten verdeckt ablegen und dafur eine neue vom Stapel nehmen.

I guess that in the translation the word 'darf' (=may) was overlooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Possibly, but there is a perennial problem with people translating "muss nicht" (which appears here) as "must not." Literally the words do mean "must" and "not," of course, but the expression means "does not have to" whereas "must not" is common English meaning "is not allowed to." So, it can be confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btw the French rules file is incorrect as well ....

and the chinese file .... oh dear my chinese abilites are restricted to food items. But wait .... aren't the Chinese only allowed to have one kid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Probably the old "musse nicht" problem rearing its head again. I'll fix up one of the translations in the next few days. Thanks!

I just uploaded a new version of http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=23792 that I had previously uploaded with this correction.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thanks. I've been using the mis-translation and liked the game, but was always frustrated by the card draw. I think this is going to make a significantly positive difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Possibly, but there is a perennial problem with people translating "muss nicht" (which appears here) as "must not." Literally the words do mean "must" and "not," of course, but the expression means "does not have to" whereas "must not" is common English meaning "is not allowed to." So, it can be confusing.

Should probably be thought of as "not must" instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
tool wrote:

I just uploaded a new version of http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=23792 that I had previously uploaded with this correction.

Jeff

That link does not contain the correction that you may discard and draw after playing a descendant.

(Apologies for the thread necro.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
tool wrote:

Jeff
That link does not contain the correction that you may discard and draw after playing a descendant.

argh, I had corrected it and uploaded a new version... for some reason geekmod could have rejected it or it feel somewhere between the cracks

I've still got the updated version on my hard drive, I'll try uploading again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
tool wrote:

Jeff

argh, I had corrected it and uploaded a new version... for some reason geekmod could have rejected it or it feel somewhere between the cracks

I've still got the updated version on my hard drive, I'll try uploading again

I figured out what happened with the updated one I uploaded back in 2007... it went under it's own entry... check out

FamilyTies.pdf

I've also got it pending as an upload to the other (original) file page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I've also got it pending as an upload to the other (original) file page

the admin gods that be just rejected the upload of the updated w/correct rules file as part of the same older file page... as usual no reason given other than...

"We're sorry that we couldn't use the recent file that you uploaded, and it was removed it from the system"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.