5 Posts

Super Mario Bros.» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone know a formula for competing head-to-head? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin McGraw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I want to compete against each other at Mario Bros., so I was wondering if anyone had come up with a way/formula to incorporate points and levels passed into one overall score. That way there would be more of an even playing field as you could obviously just run right through levels without points. Thanks for any help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only really imagine it coming down to speed of making it through the levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everlast80 wrote:
My son and I want to compete against each other at Mario Bros., so I was wondering if anyone had come up with a way/formula to incorporate points and levels passed into one overall score. That way there would be more of an even playing field as you could obviously just run right through levels without points. Thanks for any help?

I think I entered a tournament once where we did time remaining + (X*coins)+(Y*lives) and then you totalled up your score for each level passed... think it was just for the world 1 levels though.

I don't recall what the values for x and y were (though I imagine that Y>X to compensate for getting too many coins and getting an extra life.

I ran bolted through in an attempt to just have time remaining... didn't manage to get anywhere near the top, so presume the X and Y values were pretty spot on... shame I can't remember them.

Maybe just try a few levels of not collecting coins vs collecting them to figure out the X/Y balance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100 coins = 1 life, so I think it'd have to be X=1, Y=100. Otherwise it'd always be optimal to have 99 coins, and severely detrimental to pick up the 100th coin.

Actually, it should be Y=X*100. You could set X to any value to adjust the balance between rewarding time vs coins. At X=1, it's not worth picking up a coin if it'll take you a second or more. At X=2 (Y=200) it'd probably emphasize coin-collecting too much. The sweet spot is probably in the lower range. X=1 would make for easy math. Something like X=1.5 would reward coins a little more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the ideas! This is exactly what I wanted. I will give it a try this weekend with my son!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.