Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played our epic eight player game last night. 15 hours.

The major point that came up, and it's funny this never came up before was that some public objectives state that you qualify for a victory point if you have X number of "Advances" in technologies.

In the past we've played it to include your starting tech but the way it's worded as "Advances" leads me to believe they shouldn't include your starting tech because an advance implies something that is over and above what you started with. What's the official ruling on this? Is there something in the rules I missed? Am I just over thinking this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are over thinking this - it includes your starting Techs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

All the technologies are called 'technology advances', so unless the card specifically excludes starting ones, they are included.

From the rules, p4
"At the beginning of the game, each player receives an identical Technology Deck (separated by color) consisting of 24 technology advances"

There's at least one card where it excludes starting advances - a PO I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one ability [Jol Nar Councilor] I'm aware of that cares about the difference, and it uses the term "Researched Technology Advances", with the term "Researched" clarifying the difference. Everything else will count the technology advances you started with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.