United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
+2 Actions, please!
badge
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried to find any discussion on this... but was unsuccessful.

Has anyone tried agreeing to a concrete order with their opponents for which tiles can be placed? I had pondered possibly creating different tile orders for placing tiles that each player agrees to prior to the game, therefore eliminating The Duke's biggest criticism of randomness. With this added mechanic the game could have a similar pre game customization similar to Dominion where the kingdom cards (or the order of tiles) significantly change how the game is played.

I've also thought about a house rule which allows players to draw tiles but once the tile is drawn the opposition does not get to draw and instead would simply create a queue for tiles to be placed. This wouldnt eliminate randomness but would help create a more equitable and balanced game.

Thoughts?

What house rules have you guys tried?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colb425 wrote:
I've tried to find any discussion on this... but was unsuccessful.

Has anyone tried agreeing to a concrete order with their opponents for which tiles can be placed? I had pondered possibly creating different tile orders for placing tiles that each player agrees to prior to the game, therefore eliminating The Duke's biggest criticism of randomness. With this added mechanic the game could have a similar pre game customization similar to Dominion where the kingdom cards (or the order of tiles) significantly change how the game is played.

I've also thought about a house rule which allows players to draw tiles but once the tile is drawn the opposition does not get to draw and instead would simply create a queue for tiles to be placed. This wouldnt eliminate randomness but would help create a more equitable and balanced game.

Thoughts?

What house rules have you guys tried?

I am one of those who actually doesn't mind the randomness. Removing the randomness makes it more like chess and changes a 20 minute game to a game that takes an hour or more due to extreme paralysis.

The fact is that this game really isn't an abstract in the standard sense and works because of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your you want something that feels a bit like the duke without the randomness, check out Navia Dratp. It shows how each piece moves on the piece like the duke and has upgradable pieces so their movement changes (you are essentially flipping the part that shows their movement to show their upgraded movement). I much prefer it over the duke. Plus the figures are fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PapaBear73 wrote:
If your you want something that feels a bit like the duke without the randomness, check out Navia Dratp. It shows how each piece moves on the piece like the duke and has upgradable pieces so their movement changes (you are essentially flipping the part that shows their movement to show their upgraded movement). I much prefer it over the duke. Plus the figures are fantastic.

I Second the recommendation. Great game and very pretty. The only issue is that it is out of print and it was collectible. One can get the two starter sets for a reasonable cost and they play great. You can also usually complete the first expansion set too reasonably. Now, the second set is harder to find but again, you get plenty of gameplay with the two starters.

I have a full collection and have never regretted it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Onitama is also "duke-like" without the randomness.

Otherwise, I like the random bag of The Duke. I do prefer the variant where you pick which tiles start the game in the bag (I think it's in the back of the rulebook) and it eliminates that tile from your opponent's bag. It makes the bag more strategic and shortens the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually backed Tao-Long - like Duke it smells of chess, but removes the stale played-to-death feel of chess. It's not as random as The Duke, but less static than Chess. I think this game is going to be great. Will have to wait and see. As of this post there is still a "late pledge" button on the kickstarter page if interested. Judging by how successful the campaign has been it will likely be abundant (in kickstarter terms) upon release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
I actually backed Tao-Long - like Duke it smells of chess, but removes the stale played-to-death feel of chess. It's not as random as The Duke, but less static than Chess. I think this game is going to be great. Will have to wait and see. As of this post there is still a "late pledge" button on the kickstarter page if interested. Judging by how successful the campaign has been it will likely be abundant (in kickstarter terms) upon release.

I looked at this and was going to Kickstart it...then I read the rules. I hate it when someone takes what seems to be a reasonable game and makes it nigh incomprehensible because of trying to be "stylish" with the rules. They should think about a little clarity there....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Started playing this a few weeks ago and forgot to place tiles in the bag. We chose which ones to place. This slowed the game and was less interesting. Much prefer the standard rules. Knocks Onitama into a cocked hat! More depth, variety and interest. Definitely a favourite with us now alongside Hive!,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thorben
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
...repeat...
badge
...long slow goodbye...
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of drawing one, you can make a house-rule to draw two.

Then you can modify the rule to leave the tile in the open for the next round where you take two out of the bag and have the option to take one of those tree - then having one on the board, one on the table for later rounds and put the last tile back into the bag.

Or you draw two, choose one and putting the other one back.

Hope it's clear what I wanted to say - English is not my first language

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very clear and thanks. Some good ideas which I'll try out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.