Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Did we cheat with relationships? Spoilers february rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Nordström
Sweden
Jonkoping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we opened the packets for february and got introduced to relationships, and since each character could have two relationships we made did so (we chose not to swap one of our characters for the quarantine specialist).

However, later on I thought we may have been cheating, the new rules sticker said you could grab a relationship when creating a character. Now, we did not create characters at this stage, since we had had them since january, and I also think perhaps we could only have given them a single relationship? Or did a charctyer pick a relationship and the counterpart to that relationship automatically was assigned to another character?

I feel the rules are a little bit fuzzy here. Should we return one relationship per character to the sticker page? It was not a deal breaker for the month, we would have won anyway, but we want to play by the intended rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you cheated.

Existing characters should not have had ANY relationships added. You only gain relationships to new characters. At the very least, you should remove one of the relationships, because those are one of the things that drive you to try out some of the different characters. If you added all the relationships immediately, and never played any other characters throughout the game because there was no reason to change, it would be sad. cry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jaso
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I did the same mistake, I am going to remove the stickers and if that doesn't work just write on the cards and print out a reference sheet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Yes, you cheated.

Existing characters should not have had ANY relationships added. You only gain relationships to new characters. At the very least, you should remove one of the relationships, because those are one of the things that drive you to try out some of the different characters. If you added all the relationships immediately, and never played any other characters throughout the game because there was no reason to change, it would be sad. cry


The new character can have a relationship with an existing character though. (I'm pretty sure... or else we really messed this up.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
runtsta wrote:
Yes, you cheated.

Existing characters should not have had ANY relationships added. You only gain relationships to new characters. At the very least, you should remove one of the relationships, because those are one of the things that drive you to try out some of the different characters. If you added all the relationships immediately, and never played any other characters throughout the game because there was no reason to change, it would be sad. cry


The new character can have a relationship with an existing character though. (I'm pretty sure... or else we really messed this up.)

Yes, they must have relationships with previously created characters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Nordström
Sweden
Jonkoping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the swift replies. We will try to find a fitting punishment for our sins... shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn
United States
Hastings
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
We did it too, but only with one set among our two characters. Enjoy the rest of the game! It's a wild ride!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pincumbe
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarantine Specialist is definitely worth checking out too. He saved our butts on a few occasions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IAmBatman wrote:
Quarantine Specialist is definitely worth checking out too. He saved our butts on a few occasions.


Yeah, as the campaign progresses and new mechanics are met with new characters with abilities that interact specifically with those mechanics, it generally becomes worth fielding those specialists, particularly when you have objectives tied to their mechanics.

Character abilities are generally situational, so it's wise to consider the situation before deciding on your characters rather than sticking with the same pair the whole campaign.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
Soren Nightwing
badge
No mountains, no valleys
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question; we (group of four) lost the first game in January so replayed before moving on to February, and one player decided to swap an already-existing character out for the fifth unused character, giving it a name.

I assume this is legal? (The rules said "create your characters before the first game, by giving them names," and then the new February rules said "to create a new character [after this point], do so by giving it a relationship with a preexisting character".) So there didn't seem to be explicit permission for "yes, you may also create a character between January games by naming it," but was that just implied? We lost out on the chance to give that fifth character a relationship sticker upon its introduction but no great loss. (I hope.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
That's completely fine. Nothing says you have to play the same characters in the first and second half of a month. (Indeed, having discovered the hard way what went wrong in the first half of the month, you may well be eager to change!)

So yes, you can have created all five characters during January. Yes, that limits your options a bit come February. No, that's no great loss.

For example, we did just fine without ever playing one of the starting five characters. If you think about it, that restricted us in a comparable way, relationships-wise.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
Soren Nightwing
badge
No mountains, no valleys
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.