James Bjork

Virginia
msg tools
Perhaps I'm missing something in the rulebook, quest book or FAQ.

Both my heroes (soloing) were defeated at once in the RtL side quest when the roof collapsed and there were still monstera alive in the next room (into which the hero bodies would spawn).

Why doesn't the rulebook simply state that the heroes lose if all are defeated simultaneously? Why doesn't the app just rule it as a defeat when the *entire party* is knocked out? You know... zombie food? What's the point of even the stand-up each turn, when that's the ONLY thing a hero can do.... just to get pasted by the baddies back down to unconsciousness?

Is it that there may be times when a hero's innate defense or recovery dice roll is so good they might *not* get knocked out again during the OL/App-baddies turn, and so could chug a potion or something on the turn following the stand-up? If this is the case, how could the heroes possibly lose a quest, since they can never truly die, and could keep re-spawning until they got a lucky 2d6 red roll etc?

I guess in the spirit of "reality", I felt I had to click on surrender in the app, since the named marriod and the Flesh Moulders were all still alive...

Just seems so unrealistic. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most RtL quests, you are basically defeated at that point. The monsters' only purpose is to take out the heroes, and unless they get very lucky that's all that will continue to happen.

However, in Descent proper both the heroes and the overlord need to do more than just kill the enemy. Since there are other goals they need to accomplish to finish the quest, it's likely that the monsters will move off to do other things, giving the heroes a chance to get back into the action.

In the case where the overlord has enough resources and time to reach the quest goal and can still dedicate enough monsters to wipe out the heroes every round, that's either a badly designed quest or the heroes have failed to deplete enough of the overlord's resources (poor luck or poor tactics), and may as well concede the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
saxguy007 wrote:
Why doesn't the rulebook simply state that the heroes lose if all are defeated simultaneously? Why doesn't the app just rule it as a defeat when the *entire party* is knocked out? (...)

If this is the case, how could the heroes possibly lose a quest, since they can never truly die, and could keep re-spawning until they got a lucky 2d6 red roll etc?

In RtL, when a hero gets KO the app expects you to inform it of this event. It uses a Morale system where if heroes have too many KOs (even if it's just one hero who keeps tripping and landing on their face and thus laughed at by the other, insensitive heroes who can all GO TO HELL I am SO telling mom...) the heroes will lose the quest.

In non-RtL, the Mists of Bilehall and Chains that Rust expansions both have a "All heroes down, Overlord wins" condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.