mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I wish I played all my games all the time so I wouldn't forget basic things like set up ie How much money to start with, how many cards to use for different player counts, etc...

It's pretty helpful for me so I'm not stumbling with the rule book for starting set-up. Just a quick note about how to begin the game usually helps trigger my memory of what to do to start playing.

Yes, simply picking up the rule book and reading it would be the best way to go but if all I need is a quick reminder of the basics then I'm pretty good to go.

Yesterday I hosted a board game party and even though all of us had played Sheriff of Nottingham before we all forgot starting money & cards.....this was one game I hadn't made a "Quick Start" index card but it would've been helpful.

For me, not all rule books have the best layout (look at how many rule book threads there have been lately here) and when I'm in a situation like this I don't want to have to open the rule book and stroll through it thoroughly at my own relaxed pace, I just want to know how to set-up but if it's a more complex game say like Arkham Horror (which I wouldn't suggest to play at a large board game party) then yes, I'll be reading through the rule book thoroughly.

Do you do anything to help you get set-up quickly? Ear mark a page in the rule book for easier reference? Or make notes? What about components? Do you have player pieces separated in the box ready to go or all together and then have the players sort them out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an industry waiting for all these 3x5 cards.

I've been meaning to make them forever, but I always end up failing to do it.

So, like most of us I suspect, I end up having to re-read the Rules again. And again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purrceys
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done the same with index cards.

As well, I bag components for individual users so you can just hand them a baggie of their pieces. (It saves time.) Since I usually play two players, if the game has more pieces for additional players, I separate out the unneeded components and put them in labelled bags (ie. "3 player pieces" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try my best to separate starting resources into whatever storage I'm using for player pieces, so that it's ready to go as soon as players have chosen a colour. But for any random set-up, that doesn't work, so I'd love to have some cards ready. Do you make them electronically, maybe you could upload some files?

I don't get how it can be so hard just to have a quick-reference at the back of the rule book. Hopefully these sort of things will be standardised as the industry grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Good idea.
For the odd wargame I've created a prepared set-up for at least one of the sides. For the same reason. When I'm familiar with the game I know what strategies will work, but coming to it after, potentially, years away I may not remember all the relevant strategies. That and it speeds it up immensely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgW wrote:
I try my best to separate starting resources into whatever storage I'm using for player pieces, so that it's ready to go as soon as players have chosen a colour. But for any random set-up, that doesn't work, so I'd love to have some cards ready. Do you make them electronically, maybe you could upload some files?

I don't get how it can be so hard just to have a quick-reference at the back of the rule book. Hopefully these sort of things will be standardised as the industry grows.

I hand write all my Quick Start cards. Good idea, though, if somebody did that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I also use cards for quick setup. They are especially useful I find for games with expansions that add new setup rules etc. Saves having to look through multiple books. I have also for some games noted frequently missed rules etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a long-time fan of index cards, both for easy game set-up and for my own 'rules summary'.

For some games, where the rule-books are not tidy, I like to outline the rules on 5x8's, then fill in the outline as I read the rule-book. This is especially helpful for, say, 'movement' rules, which could be scattered all over a rule-book, but are nicely condensed under my 'Movement' subheading.

Reading from an index card is not likely to be imposing on unsuspecting little game pieces either...another boon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahahahaha, I write in my rule books, too. I use to use the small sticky notes but if I'm absolutely sure of what I need to write I use an extra thin Sharpie marker and write in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I created a pdf for a 4x6 setup card for dominion, but I haven't taken the time to do it for an other games. There are certainly a few that really need it. When first learning a game the text setup in most rulebooks is fine, but after that I'd much rather have an index card setup. Lords of Waterdeep has a pretty decent setup on the back page of the rules. I don't know of any others.

Here's the pdf I did for dominion: http://nordenhal.eastkingdom.org/preparation.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.