Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because that would mean I had missed it!

Like The 7th Continent, I found out about Charterstone only recently. Missed out on the former, don't want to miss this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gentry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hey
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Doubt. Can never tell with Stonemeier. Yet it being a Legacy game....curious what they would have done for stretch-goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
Because that would mean I had missed it!

Like The 7th Continent, I found out about Charterstone only recently. Missed out on the former, don't want to miss this!

Somehow I think you would not have missed it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make sure you don't miss out on Stonemaier-related stuff, you can subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter here: http://stonemaiergames.com/e-newsletter/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
If you want to make sure you don't miss out on Stonemaier-related stuff, you can subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter here: http://stonemaiergames.com/e-newsletter/

Yup. Did that a few days ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gentry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hey
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should've done that a long time ago. Thanks Jamey! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyg007 wrote:
No Doubt. Can never tell with Stonemeier.
What? They've been very clear about how they will publish games post Scythe. A number of articles have been written both on the how and on the why. Stonemaier games are one of the most open and accessible publishers around, to imply that they are unpredictable is on you for not being informed, not on them for changing how they operate.

As to what they could have for stretch goals... upgraded component quality (e.g. better card/cardboard), built-in reset packs, deluxe components (3D instead of tokens). Of course gameplay-related stretch goals are tricky, but those generally cause the most furore amongst the geeks anyway, so are best steered clear of IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyg007 wrote:
Yet it being a Legacy game....curious what they would have done for stretch-goals.

We've actually discussed that and got inspiration from MMORPGs where some people hire others to play with their character to get it to the highest level, so that they themselves can avoid the hassle of leveling and just play the end game content.

So for each stretch goals we would have preplayed one game session for you and based on player count tell you which player won. This would you enable you to avoid the hassle of actually playing through the legacy campaign and just play the end game.

Or maybe not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
johnnyg007 wrote:
No Doubt. Can never tell with Stonemeier.
What? They've been very clear about how they will publish games post Scythe. A number of articles have been written both on the how and on the why. Stonemaier games are one of the most open and accessible publishers around, to imply that they are unpredictable is on you for not being informed, not on them for changing how they operate.

As to what they could have for stretch goals... upgraded component quality (e.g. better card/cardboard), built-in reset packs, deluxe components (3D instead of tokens). Of course gameplay-related stretch goals are tricky, but those generally cause the most furore amongst the geeks anyway, so are best steered clear of IMO.

Not everyone pays that close of attention to stuff like this. Even subscribed to a newsletter I don't always read them. I try to keep my email lean and neat but I still gloss over things like newsletters occasionally.

Publishers have to realize different people are invested at different levels in this hobby. Not everyone is going to follow game releases in advance. this is a niche hobby and not like something such as video games that get a lot of press coverage and advertising of upcoming titles.
I have no problems with you not "keeping up to date", that's your prerogative. But knowing that you have sketchy information you shouldn't make off-hand dismissive remarks about the behaviour of an entity that you - by your own admission - know little about. If you are going to comment, make sure that you are making informed comment

Quote:
Some of us only learn about games when we see them in stores or someone shows up to a meetup with a copy. It can be quite dispointing to learn that "Oh that KS was a year ago" sorry you missed it. Eithe rbuy it off ebay for inflated prices or hope for a reprint.
But by your own admission, you don't bother to keep up to date. So what are you expecting from publishers? Seriously, if you don't keep yourself informed then it's hardly the publisher's fault if you only find out by accident and too late. 

Quote:
Hey that's fine if you are some guy working out of your garage on your first couple of games - which is what KS is for IMO.
Your opinion, but not a reflection of reality (regardless of what you or I may feel should be the case).

Quote:
But if a company wants broader appeal and more sales they need to plan accordingly to not just rely on KS sales. In other words KS should be a tool to use to publish your games but not the only tool.
You are aware that Kingdom Death pulled $12m, Dark Souls £3.8m and Zombicide Black Plague $4m? Even Exploding Kittens had 220k ($8m) backers! So KS has broad appeal and I doubt these folks are "working out of a garage"

Personally, I really don't care how Stonemaier chooses to publish their games: KS, pre-order on Celery or retail. I keep my eye on what they're doing and I buy their games if they suit my preferences. These days I generally prefer to buy games retail where practical as (1) it's generally cheaper than KS or pre-order (usually as a result of shipping costs, but not always) and (2) I prefer to support my local economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris: Even when we used Kickstarter, we catered to the post-Kickstarter market by continuing to make the game and the special promos (we don't do exclusives). No one needs to rely on the secondary market for our products, and no one needs to feel like they missed it.

That said, for myself as a gamer, I take responsibility for the brands I'm interested in. If I've had a good experience with a company's games, I sign up for updates from that company, and I at least skim over them so I get out of them what I signed up for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Chris: Even when we used Kickstarter, we catered to the post-Kickstarter market by continuing to make the game and the special promos (we don't do exclusives). No one needs to rely on the secondary market for our products, and no one needs to feel like they missed it.
Great point Jamey! This is perhaps the differentiator between a number of Publishers (including Stonemaier) and "the rest" - their games are around in retail in significant quantities and for significant time after the KS/pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

That said, for myself as a gamer, I take responsibility for the brands I'm interested in. If I've had a good experience with a company's games, I sign up for updates from that company, and I at least skim over them so I get out of them what I signed up for.

This, 100%. I have everything for Viticulture and Tuscany (pre-Essentials), and I didn't take part in any Kickstarter project for it.

I wish more publishers handled after-KS sales like Stonemaier does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
As a consumer I am perfectly entitled to my opinion and to provide my feedback. Just because I am not as informed of KS as other people doesn't mean my opinion or my money is less valuable.
True, but it carries less validity as an opinion, because it was made without sufficient data. I originally intended to chide you gently for offhand hyperbole, this has got way off track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
So for each stretch goals we would have preplayed one game session for you and based on player count tell you which player won. This would you enable you to avoid the hassle of actually playing through the legacy campaign and just play the end game.

Oh, sure. Where were you when I was playing HeroQuest and had to replay the first scenario again since we had no idea what starting equipment we should have had for the second one??? laugh

Also glad to hear this isn't KS'ed. Stonemaier Games has written several must-read articles about KS (read the treasure chest one why they didn't do a KS for the last one), so I'd like to think think that their decision to not KS a game wasn't because "this is how we do things", which I think most companies do. KS certainly gets attention, but, as Dark Fortress showed and Heroes is showing, that attention may not be all that positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Oh, sure. Where were you when I was playing HeroQuest and had to replay the first scenario again since we had no idea what starting equipment we should have had for the second one??? laugh

Well, we have the patent, trademark, copyright, and right to sue you into oblivion for the concept of preplaying games, so the HeroQuest team couldn't use that idea.

Sam and Max wrote:
Also glad to hear this isn't KS'ed. Stonemaier Games has written several must-read articles about KS (read the treasure chest one why they didn't do a KS for the last one), so I'd like to think think that their decision to not KS a game wasn't because "this is how we do things", which I think most companies do. KS certainly gets attention, but, as Dark Fortress showed and Heroes is showing, that attention may not be all that positive.

In case you're interested in the reasons for Stonemaier leaving Kickstarter (at least for now), then you can read these two posts by Jamey:
http://stonemaiergames.com/lessons-learned-from-quitting-kic...
http://stonemaiergames.com/lessons-learned-from-quitting-kic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.