Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been a GLORIOUS week as Geek of the Week, but alas - All good things come to an end. I'm happy to pass to the torch to a dear friend and an EXCELLENT ambassador for this hobby, Ms. Ashely Cramb:

Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ashlee and I met via the interwebs early last year and our friendship has blossomed since. She has an EXCELLENT blog here on BGG that I hope everyone will check out, and her instagram page is just bonkers (40,000+ subscribers?!? Is she giving stuff away, or what??!?). I can't wait to see what kinds of questions everyone has in store for this amazing Australian lady.

An introduction as written by Ashlee:

Elizabeth1000 wrote:

Big thanks again Brandon for the nomination Here goes...

I'm so excited to be nominated for "Geek of the Week" by one of my favorite people in the industry, Brandon from the Brawling Brothers!!! I really love this hobby and community of people, so it's very exciting to be recognized for my geekyness

You may know me as board gamer girl...I run an instagram where I post daily pictures about my adventures with boardgames. Currently my instagram has 43 thousand followers which I'm very proud of, I also use twitter to share my love of boardgames, contribute to "Favorite Game Friday" on the dice tower (run by the awesome Roy from Epic Gaming Night) and post a weekly blog on boardgamegeek.

I'm 28 years old and live in Brisbane, Australia... one of the furthermost places in the world from what I deem to be the "center of all things board games"... either Europe of America, take your pick, I'm ages away from both of them haha.
My story starts the same way it does for many people in our hobby, Catan!!! About 4 years ago now a mutual friend told my boyfriend about this game called Settlers of Catan and how awesome it was, my boyfriend who is pretty geeky himself went out and bought it straight away and we proceeded to play it over and over and over again. We played nothing but Catan for at least a year (I shudder when I think back to it now haha!), I invited friends over to play, we enjoyed many of the expansions and I probably racked up a good 50-60 plays. We then heard about a board game cafe "Go Lounge" opening up in Brisbane and knew we had to check it out, so my best friend and I went there one afternoon and I had my first ever game of Dominion (which I consider my true gateway game). As soon as I played Dominion I was hooked, looking back what really stood out to me was the deck building mechanic which was nothing like I'd ever imagined before, and something that felt so unique and addictive. I immediately bought the game and started playing it with anyone I could, and I also kept going back to Go Lounge and playing more and more games that I was LOVING. At this point I also discovered The Dice Tower and listened to every top 10 list about 5 times each, and I loved the banter between Tom, Sam and Zee, and they really opened my eyes to the community of board gamers out there, and how amazing it was. I knew I wanted to be involved and contribute to the community somehow, but I wasn't sure how. A friend of mine had just created a food instagram and it seemed like alot of fun so I decided to stop making excuses and start an instagram account then and there. I had also noticed there was a gap in the hobby with very few reviewers using instagram so I thought this was a good platform to utilize, and a great way to visually show off games. Ever since then I've been spreading the love of the hobby to everyone I can, and love discussing games with everyone and anyone. I post 1 picture a day to my instagram, once a week I post a "board game selfie" which is generally of a game I'm really loving. There are so many amazing reviewers on instagram, and I'm happy to be apart of that community!! If you're not on the board game scene on instagram you need to check it out, there are so many people talking about so many fantastic games there.

I am currently 4 board games shy of owning 200 games, which I know isn't a large amount for this hobby but I've only been growing my collection for about 2 years so it's a big number for me. My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter, my favorite game mechanic is drafting, and I think I tilt much more towards the ameritrash kinda games, although I have been known to enjoy a good euro from time to time.

I am so thankful to be involved in such an amazing and kind community. Between reviewers, publishers, designers and players everyone is so lovely and friendly and so generous. I LOVE the fact that I can go across the other side of the world, sit down at a table and make friends with someone through a board game. I LOVE that I can communicate with so many people from all over the world on instagram and they just gush about how much they enjoy a game and why. I LOVE soooo many things about this hobby and I LOVE playing board games with my friends and how it brings us all closer together.

My motto is, if you tell me you don't like board games I believe you just haven't found the right one for you. I honestly think everyone out there has a perfect style of game for them, even if it's just a party game. I think games bring people closer together and create amazing memories that will last forever, and I'm so happy to be in a community where that's possible.

Any other questions about me, please let me know
Thanks for reading xox

Quiz
Can you spot the lie?
I've never been to a board game convention before.
Munckin is my guilty pleasure game.
I have no storage solution for my board games.
    261 answers
Quiz created by Empulsive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ashlee; great to see another Aussie GotW! I watch your Instagram account and follower count with covetous eyes...

My question: If you were in charge of your vision of a perfect Australian board game con, what would it be like? Where would it be held? What events/tournaments/speakers would you have there? Can I come?

Edit: OMG, first post! Now I feel obligated to come up with another question!

Um, for those of us looking to grow our Instagram subscriber count, what advice can you offer?

I hope to bump into you around the traps someday and we can have a game. You never know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ashlee!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ashlee and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Penguinised wrote:
Congratulations Ashlee; great to see another Aussie GotW! I watch your Instagram account and follower count with covetous eyes...

Thanks so much for the kind words!!!

Penguinised wrote:

My question: If you were in charge of your vision of a perfect Australian board game con, what would it be like? Where would it be held? What events/tournaments/speakers would you have there? Can I come?

Hahaa I am actually the worst person to ask about conventions because I have never been to one!! I was hoping to attend GenCon this year, but then I got engaged and all my holiday leave is going to my honeymoon haha so hopefully 2018 I can go.
So I’ll try and answer your question as best I can, I think what I’d want most out of a con is what I hear about Board game geek con where everyone just plays a heap of games. I’d love to have anyone and everyone come along to the convention, I’d love to meet all the publishers out there that I talk to, it would be nice to get to know them better on a personal level. I’d love designers to come so I could try and beat a designer at their own game hahaa. But probably most of all I would want some reviewers and personalities in the industry to come, I always feel so left out when I see everyone at conventions taking selfies together, if only Australia wasn’t so far away maybe it would be a possibility haha. The event I would want most of all is a live dice tower top 10 list show.
Oh and I'd make it in Brisbane because I live here

Penguinised wrote:

Um, for those of us looking to grow our Instagram subscriber count, what advice can you offer?

I have a few pieces of advice:
- Post regularly
- Interact with other people on Instagram who post about boardgames (this can be easily found by looking up the hashtag #boardgames etc) including liking and commenting on posts.
- Post quality content regularly
- Be patient

Also people often tell me they like when I describe how a board game makes me feel, not just what I like about it. So things like that.
Hope that helps.

Penguinised wrote:

I hope to bump into you around the traps someday and we can have a game. You never know!

I'm keen!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Ashlee!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

Hahaa well he's not from board games really, but I am Harry Potter OBSESSED!! So I guess him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Ashlee, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Landry" Lieve
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

My question:

3 places that are on your bucket list to go to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ashlee!
I've seen you so many times geekmodding, it's nice to see a "familiar" face.

Here's my usual questions:
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)?
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Thanks!
Enjoy your week! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of living in Australia?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ashlee! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ashlee! Has anyone stopped you and said "Do i know you from somewhere?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn is boufalaxx
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Subscribe to Smashing Plastic on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ashlee

Yay, an Aussie! And a Brisbane Local too

Enjoy your week and "If you were to get stuck as a Game 'Character' Who would be the best, and worst?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Ashlee! Thank you for your contributions and fun adventures via Instagram. I love the updates So glad to see you recognized in all your geeky splendor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to a fellow Aussie; Ashlee! Enjoy your week in the spotlight as BGG Geek of the Week!

Just one question; what Ameritrash games would you most highly recommend to me that are not in my collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Ashlee! I love your Instagram!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Temple City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! My inspiration for calling Instagram "the Insta." Do you still have that copy of Catan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Bauwens
Belgium
Waarschoot
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week.

I've been following you on Instagram, and probably Twitter as well, for quite a while now. never have I disliked your posts. I keep looking forward for the future pictures.

d10-1 Do you keep track of what games you play, on way or another?
d10-2 Do you have a game you really want to have in your collection, but you never managed to buy it yet for whatever reason?
d10-3 Have you ever been to Spiel?
d10-4 Any country you really want to visit on holiday?
d10-5 I had immense fun playing Captain Sonar last wekend. What role did you have in your plays, any particular role you like?

d10-6 T.I.M.E Stories
This no question, just a shout out to a superb game!

Enjoy the Geek of the Week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ogden
United States
Huntington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"I like it when they say bumper to bumper."
badge
"Hairy BABY!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ashlee! Yours is easily one of my favorite Instagram accounts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Ashlee! What is the story about your username? Your name is Ashlee but your username is Elizabeth? What's the deal?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hatfield
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot. Well deserved. She has the best page on Insta! Hope your summer has not scorched you to bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats! I picked the correct statement that was a lie. Good gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!!! I love following your account on instagram. The number of badass female gamers posting pics on instagram is totally awesome, especially when said gamers combined game pics with my other love, lipstick
kiss

Keep up the good work, thank you for your contribution to the hobby and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elephantgirl wrote:
Congrats!

My question:

3 places that are on your bucket list to go to?

So hard to narrow down a list, but my top 3 would be:

- Morrocco
- The Maldives
- Gen Con (and other places in America I haven't been yet, like Chicago etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kintarouji wrote:
Congratulations Ashlee!
I've seen you so many times geekmodding, it's nice to see a "familiar" face.

Here's my usual questions:
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)?
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Thanks!
Enjoy your week! thumbsup

Thank you

In answer to your questsions

One time our next door neighbour complained we were too loud playing Cosmic Encounter. I thought this was fairly hilarious as we have had many a loud party that lasted all night, but apparently 6 people playing Cosmic Encounter makes more of a ruckus

Sadly I don't have one sorry.

100% it would be time travel!! Basically the power of the character Hiro from the show heroes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.