Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NEXT SESSION : Wednesday February 1, 2017.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a somewhat smaller crowd at the Legion than we've had for most of this year but we were able to welcome three new attendees: Aaron, Amy and Andrew. Aaron says he likes heavier Euros so he's looking forward to maybe getting in a game of two with James.

Alain, Amy, Andrew, Aaron and I (completely outnumbered by As) started off with Saint Petersburg (second edition). It was new to Alain, Amy and Andrew and I'd never played the market expansion so Aaron explained this one. Then, he proceeded to dominate and he was especially effective at picking off second place awards in the market. Andrew did quite well obtaining nobles but, with three identical nobles, wasn't quite able to diversify through exchange cards. Amy was well diversified across all of the cards but was particularly effective in the market. Alain did quite well with buildings. I only had one building through most of the game but was able to snag the Observatory near the end which was able to get me a sixth noble. Aaron was at or near the lead most of the game and won by a wide margin. I went from fourth to second, narrowly outpacing Amy, with 21 points from my nobles. I'm enjoying getting to play this with more than 2 players and I enjoyed the addition of the market element and look forward to exploring that further.

Next, after Amy and Andrew left, I taught Aaron and Alain Evolution. We had one false start and then began again and my hand of great cards went out the window. The game started with food aplenty and my early carnivore found its way to extinction as both Aaron and Alain quickly put up defenses. While I was scrambling back Aaron ramped up a killer predator and with fertility both Alain and Aaron were taking advantage of the food abundant watering hole. By halfway through the game it was clear (at least to me) that Aaron would run away with the victory as he scored 60 points with Alain and I far behind at 39 and 36, respectively.

Other games I saw played were Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar and Ingenious and the Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) was also around.

Have a great week. I'll see you all next Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
Aaron says he likes heavier Euros so he's looking forward to maybe getting in a game of two with James.

Hey, once work slows down and I can get some of my evenings back (hopefully next week), I would be more than happy to lose to Aaron at any heavy Euro he feels like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.