3 Posts

For the People» Forums » Rules

Subject: Naval retreat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a union force is attacked and defeated in New Orleans and the remaining force (once casualties have been removed) stays at 4 sps, should it retreat via naval move to a port in an original union state or can it retreat to the unfriendly yet supplied Baton Rouge space (the Mississippi is under UNC up until New Madrid)?

I think this question has to do with the priorities listed in 7.61 but still not sure. Naval move is only 3 sps (at the most) plus general. So I suppose it has to be Baton Rouge and normal retreat (minus one sp as this space is still enemy controlled). Or else, the force naval retreats while losing sps in excess? Which one of the two?

Instead, if the force had been taken down to 3 sps I understand it MUST naval retreat to, for instance, DC, right? However, what if the rebs leave an sp at Baton Rouge (blocking this retreat) and then take New Orleans while the union force (after battle) stays at 4sps? Will the 4 union sps be eliminated, even when naval (sea) retreat is open? Or will you take only 3 to DC by sea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read in the rules that naval retreat is always priority 1, therefore, the force cannot retreat to Baton Rouge in any case. I think you can take the entire force even as an army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
I read in the rules that naval retreat is always priority 1, therefore, the force cannot retreat to Baton Rouge in any case. I think you can take the entire force even as an army.

yes naval retreats always end in priority 1 space and must be done before other priorities if available.

also, when retreating like this, there is no limit to generals and SPs unlike naval moves and attacks. the updated 2014 rules help clear this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.