Subject: Are control decks a thing in Epic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dear all,

as I mentioned in another topic, as a former MTG player, I quite like Epic.
However, I am wondering whether control decks are playable/good in Epic.

I know that at some point Tom Arnold played (and won) with a 4-color control deck but I have the impression that more recent winning decks take a more proactive stance. There are no counterspell in Epic, but I would define a control deck as one that takes a more reactive approach to the game, aiming primarily at controlling the board with sweepers, drawing cards...everything to gain incremental card advantage, before winning with one of its (few) win condition.

thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Absolutely. Watch the finals from Worlds, in which midrange control and full control battle it out. In particular, the card Chamberlain Kark (John in the finals is on Kark) was added in Uprising to provide an endpoint for control decks rather than just "endless control", to some controversy. See an article from Tom about why "Kark doesn't scare me" (spoilers for the Worlds video above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the World Championship was won by a deck that basically did nothing but kill everything in sight and gain enough life to win with Kark (a card that says "When you play this, you win if you have at least 60 life."). That card had the whole metagame Spinning around it. Other successful decks were also rather controllish in nature.

I'd go so far as to say that there is no dedicated aggro deck in Epic. Good decks are either controllish or burn-heavy. That being said, the MtG paradigms of aggro, control, and combo (and maybe midrange) don't really apply to Epic. Since you don't have mana curves, tempo is a lot subtler. Especially a deck that has a few big monsters as win conditions simply won't work because, well, all monsters are rather big, and you can't stop removal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
For whatever it's worth, I refer to the Kark deck that won Worlds (and ones like it) as a "Prison" deck, as opposed to Control.

I consider the discard-focused strategies more of a Control-style.

In my opinion, "Control" in the MTG sense of the word is not really possible in Epic, because we don't have counterspells.

- Nathan Davis
Hunting Raptors is an aggro card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Auten
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Aggro is incredible in epic and is very much an archetype like mtg. In fact, epic aggro is like MTG aggro on crack.

The other night I did 60+ damage turn 1 with human tokens.

Many of my best aggro decks have smashed these heavy removal decks even without human tokens. There are so many ridiculous aggro cards that combo with each other.

I believe we do have the traditional archetypes just like mtg despite the economy. Sure there is no dispel, but the strategy is the same for a control deck remove everything and slowly win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
msg tools
I think it's almost impossible for a card game not to include the traditional paradigm of aggro, control, midrange and combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.