Subject: Getting (in) one's own way rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb

Not infrequently, at Morelli, victory can be achieved by taking the Throne and then excluding the enemy completely from one quadrant - or at least from those parts of it which are symmetrical with his actual or potential holdings elsewhere. An important technique in rendering such an exclusion definitive is what might be called self-blockade - i.e., the placing of one's own pieces in situations which preclude their ever moving again.

Are there other games that make use of this somewhat counterintuitive approach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb

Apparently not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly would Amazons qualify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It's easier to think of games where you might intentionally place your pieces in places where they'll probably not move again, or not for a long time. E.g. Lines of Action.

Hmm, there are various games like Terra Nova: You intentionally wall off areas (like Amazons) with your pieces (typically in order to score points), which means those pieces will no longer be able to move again. But such pieces are effectively removed from play (in some such games, the rules as written say that you leave the pieces on the board, but you could equivalently remove them from the board) and they will no longer interact in any way with the "still active" pieces - so it is a different situation than Morelli's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For "self blocking" to be a profitable strategy, the game must be incredibly cold (in a game theory sense).

I can only think of Shaski Poddaviki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.