Hide
7 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about exploring (box 1 spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Turner
msg tools
Hey all, my group and I just finished our second game which unlocked the pirate box at the end. Most everything made sense (including which types of cards are which) but my question involves exploring to find new islands and I wanted to clarify it before we play our next game and it's (likely?) relevant.

I don't have the rules in front of me (and haven't found a copy of Box 1's rules online anywhere quickly) but my understanding is that when you sail into water outside of the first four columns, after ending the sail action (not your turn) you draw a card for it to see what that space becomes. The only time this doesn't happen is when

A) You split your ships up in a sail action and choose only one space to draw a card for (assuming both were open water spaces)

B) The space is the last open water space on a column without an island yet (since that would have to be the island space)

Does this mean to attempt to explore for an island you have to do one of those two things? My friends who played said they did it as 'at the end of your turn, draw open water if still on an empty space' so they bypassed that by sail-->explore in the same turn which I think was incorrect. Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Draw the uncharted waters card at the end of the sail action, as stated in the rule.

Very mild spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Most (I think all) of the cards that place stickers on the board also allow you to move your ship one space without drawing another card, so you will still be able to explore for an island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw at the end of the sail action.

Every uncharted water card let you move to a water tile next to the one you drew the card, if you had to place a sticker on it, without drawing a new card.

So on the worst case you'll explore for an island next to where you intended to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony K
msg tools
Majami wrote:
You draw at the end of the sail action.

Every uncharted water card let you move to a water tile next to the one you drew the card, if you had to place a sticker on it, without drawing a new card.

So on the worst case you'll explore for an island next to where you intended to.

This is not true of EVERY uncharted waters card. For instance, there are the:
atoll cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
acemind1 wrote:

This is not true of EVERY uncharted waters card. For instance, there are the:
atoll cards

I think you are wrong here.

My recollection is that those still allow you to move off at the end of the Booke entry.

I could be mis-remembering, but even if I am, you can still just choose not to explore the atoll (dismissing the card) and put it on the bottom of the deck and not place a sticker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as box 1 stuff, every uncharted waters card allows for an explore if that's what you want to do. You will either move one space from where a sticker goes automatically, or you will have the option to ignore the card entirely. Either way, you should end up in an empty sea space (as long as you didn't sail into a space that's surrounded).

After box 1 stuff, some uncharted waters cards might not follow this same pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony K
msg tools
j n is correct.

I just reread them. The reader in my group must have skipped the last paragraph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.