United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
To conquer a colony, one needs to take no damage in the raid endeavor against that colony. The rules for endeavors are that a successful endeavor is one where at least one success is rolled and the flagship doesn't sink. What happens if a raid is taken against a colony, damage is taken, but the ship doesn't sink? We ruled that:

1. The colony wasn't conquered (obviously)
2. The raid was not considered a success
2a. No glory was awarded
2b. No enmity was given

But we weren't sure if it was actually:

1. The colony wasn't conquered (obviously)
2. The raid is considered successful (per the usual endeavor rules)
2a. One glory is awarded for a successful endeavor
2b. Some amount of enmity is left somewhere on the colony (how much and where?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this is really unclear in rules, but I am inclined to allow a player who failed to conquer the colony to instead raid one of its sites (claim plunder, leave enmity, etc) to gain glory. If they can't or choose not to, no glory or enmity.

I don't really have anything to back that up, it just feels okay to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary G
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The action you are taking is 'Raiding'. You don't conquer unless you receive no damage but you don't have to declare your are 'trying' to Conquer.

-So Declare Raid.
-Roll Dice with modifers.
-If don't take damage you can then 'Conquer' colony. If not, and have not sunk, you may Raid a site on the Colony. The different spaces all have Enmity Required tokens printed on them.
-If you don't sink, but don't choose to Raid a site. You don't get a Glory even if Raid is successful.(Glory awarded only on Enmity given)[In some FAQ thread somewhere]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! That makes a lot of sense. Previously I had thought you had to declare your intent the same way you have to declare which site you're raiding on an island, not realizing that raiding a colony is actually more akin to raiding a province. You say you're raiding the province, you build your dice pool and roll the dice, and then you spend what you can where you can.

So if you don't hit the six successes for conquering, you can spend two successes/enmity to raid the farm (for 2 gold and a glory, meh), three to raid the warehouse (which probably doesn't have more than 1 good on it, meh), or X to take out a building (now we're talking).

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.