Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the UK so would prefer to find a good quality beginners set within Europe. That will leave more money for the actual set and less on shipping and taxes. I'm willing to throw that plan out of the window if a nice set is only available outside of Europe though.

My plan is to learn Zung Jung with my family and then maybe move on to Riichi at some point but who knows.

I have around £100 budget and would like the tiles large, scratch resistant and with numbers to help new players.

Any recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon has lots of good-looking sets, many with free UK delivery.

This, for example, looks like a nice basic set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jongg-deluxe-faux-leather-case/dp/B...

It doesn't have the Riichi specific tiles (red fives), but few sets have, and since you're already planning to start from the best mahjong rule set there is, why move on to inferior rules? Also, many people play Riichi without the red fives, because they mostly just add luck and randomness to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The European Mahjong Association's Riichi ruleset also doesn't use the red fives anymore. So even if you were to go and compete at Riichi in the UK, chances are you won't see red fives.

EMA Riichi rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of these used in the video. They're quite large and numbered. Does anyone know where I could get a set like this?

https://youtu.be/tRCb_LOkEmQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have good suggestions for the UK since I'm in Hong Kong, and mahjong sets are more or less readily available in a few places around here.

1. On the topic of numbered tiles, I recommend numbering only the Character (myriad) suit and wind tiles, if you can find such a set available. For the Dot and Bamboo suits, I don't see how a Westerner would need the numbers any more than a Chinese player (so don't get yourself spoiled with it); and the Dragons are obvious enough, unless one is severely color-blind.

2. Official competition riichi mahjong (in Japan) used to play without red fives, nor even ura dora, a few decades ago; the inclusion of these things is a recent trend (or corruption, in the eyes of the purists).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan wrote:
I don't have good suggestions for the UK since I'm in Hong Kong, and mahjong sets are more or less readily available in a few places around here.

1. On the topic of numbered tiles, I recommend numbering only the Character (myriad) suit and wind tiles, if you can find such a set available. For the Dot and Bamboo suits, I don't see how a Westerner would need the numbers any more than a Chinese player (so don't get yourself spoiled with it); and the Dragons are obvious enough, unless one is severely color-blind.

2. Official competition riichi mahjong (in Japan) used to play without red fives, nor even ura dora, a few decades ago; the inclusion of these things is a recent trend (or corruption, in the eyes of the purists).

Thank you for the advice. thumbsup

I may end up getting an unnumbered set and just temporarily marking the myriad and wind tiles.

Do you know of anywhere in Hong Kong that sell sets like those shown in the youtube video and will post to the the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.