Popular Tags: [View All]
Eisen Montalvo
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1- For each player over 4, make a team of two-players.
2- For each team, one player controls the runner, the other controls the sprinter.

On each turn:
1- The team decides which player will pick cards first, the sprinter or the runner.
2- The first player select his/her card and shows it to the other player. He/she finishes his/her part of the turn normally.
3- The other player selects her/his card and shows it to the first player. She/he finishes her/his part of the turn normally.

Game play continues as usual.

What do you guys think? I know it is a simple variant. Just liked the idea of opening the game to more than 4 players while making the least amount of changes to the rules.

Edit:
Fixed typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eisen wrote:
... controls the runner, the other controls the splinter.

On each turn:
1- .... cards first, the splinter or the runner.

Sorry. Not to offend you, but I had to LOL here, although I'm afraid it's not a funny typo as you make the same mistake twice.

I guess, Froome must be the 'runner' and maybe he is running because he had a 'splinter' in his tire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eisen Montalvo
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moorwild wrote:

Sorry. Not to offend you, but I had to LOL here, although I'm afraid it's not a funny typo as you make the same mistake twice.

I guess, Froome must be the 'runner' and maybe he is running because he had a 'splinter' in his tire!

Thank you Moorwild. No offense taken. English is my second language. Unfornately, I make those mistakes every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, this variant has been discussed in previous threads. Key is that the team wins if either cyclist wins. No real need for the second player to show his card - it will be revealed to all in a moment.

Another way to play is to sit the teammates together and they see each other's hands (in turn, not at the same time) and can discuss which card to select.

Still, with some minor modifications to the track, I still think it will be possible to allow 10 or 12 cyclists at once, so that at least you can play 6 players each controlling a team (obviously with extra components).

You can also simply play 8 players, each just controlling 1 cyclist and no teams. I find this works pretty well. You can even allow that players can talk to each other about their plans before selecting their cards to try to work together if they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
You can also simply play 8 players, each just controlling 1 cyclist and no teams. I find this works pretty well. You can even allow that players can talk to each other about their plans before selecting their cards to try to work together if they want.

I really like this last part here, about controlling only 1 rider and then discussing what to play. I think that could work very well in teams too, if you add a *Planning* phase. Then they can discuss a strategy before they see their cards, and then they should stick to that plan the best they can (without showing each other their cards and without mentioning any numbers at all). Af course they are not allowed to call an audible, because that would defeat the purpose of the planning, so once they have picked up their cards, they are no longer allowed to talk until after they play both of their cards.

I also think that this will make the players feel more like individual riders on the road, rather than just two players controlling a team. If they sit in teams and get to see all of the sprinteur and rouleur's cards, then I don't think it will be that different from the base game, and you might end up with just having one player (usually the most experience) deciding almost every move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
SchackTAG wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

I really like this last part here, about controlling only 1 rider and then discussing what to play. I think that could work very well in teams too, if you add a *Planning* phase. Then they can discuss a strategy before they see their cards, and then they should stick to that plan the best they can (without showing each other their cards and without mentioning any numbers at all). Af course they are not allowed to call an audible, because that would defeat the purpose of the planning, so once they have picked up their cards, they are no longer allowed to talk until after they play both of their cards.

I also think that this will make the players feel more like individual riders on the road, rather than just two players controlling a team. If they sit in teams and get to see all of the sprinteur and rouleur's cards, then I don't think it will be that different from the base game, and you might end up with just having one player (usually the most experience) deciding almost every move.

Good points Soren. Perhaps the most interesting way to do teams is have a planning phase each turn where they secretly discuss their plan together, but then they simultaneously draw and select without showing cards to each other or speaking/signaling. Makes it a little harder than solo because you're deciding the "2nd" cyclist without knowing what the "1st" is doing, but it lets players feel more like individuals. For 8 cyclists individual, I do it the same but all planning phase discussion must be open to the whole table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ready for a variant with much more riders and/or players!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black dog
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do it, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yves_bgg wrote:
Just do it, then.

Please sent me files!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.