7 Posts

London Dread» Forums » Variants

Subject: Making handling dread cards more exciting (also easier :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Page
msg tools
Hi,

I understand that when dealing with dread cards your options to boost your score against the card are virtue, investigation cards or items. But all of these are super valuable, and I'd be advised saving them for plot and challenge cards, surely?

I love the look and idea of the game - I see it as a sort of speed Arkham Horror, which is an awesome thing. But, given the above, in our first playthrough we found the dread cards pretty mechanical (there's no sense of 'ooh...I/we _might_ make it!'), and I don't think I'd attempt a dread card unless I/we could definitely hit the target without using up precious resources.

We also found the game extremely hard (maybe we were unlucky, but we uncovered almost all dread cards before finding the 5th plot, so we blew way past Dread 50!). So next time I'm going to try a house rules where you can also choose to draw (and keep drawing) from the personality deck as a push your luck (when dealing with dread, plot and challenge cards).

Sure, that's a lot of free icons, but always with the Russian Roulette chance of aiming too high, crapping out, and collecting a trauma.

What do you think (other than contempt at my wanting or needing a n00b mode!)?

Cheers,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your post! As long as you are having fun, house rules are great.

Out of curiosity, did you try any of the suggestions in the Rule Book for a slightly easier game? I.e. beginning with 5 Confidence cards in the Investigation deck, and/or 2 Virtue tokens each, and/or 2 Items each.

Let me know how your variant plays out.

Happy gaming!

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tim,

Just a note here that the puzzle of the dread cards gets easier with more plays and therefore you will find yourself getting less dread. I bet you'l find even without your variant that the game gets easier as you repeat scenarios.

But as always, house rule and enjoy as you see it!

Also, spoiler - Asger expected you to lose your first game.
You have no idea how many times in development he said "It's a mean city" devil

Confess Asger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karmic_devil wrote:

You have no idea how many times in development he said "It's a mean city" devil

Confess Asger!

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime de Marcos
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your open-mindedness regarding house rules, Asger! You don't find this often in the gaming world (much less among designers!).

The relative lack of items during gameplay made us consider the following house rule: whenever you succeed investigating a dread card (not a plot card), roll a die. If you get a fist, take an item from the item area or a random item from the deck. You may keep a maximum of three items during the game (discard the extra items you get).

What do you think about this? Does it give more playability to the item cards, or are we unbalancing the game too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Jaime,

When we developed the game with Grey Fox, our catch phrase became "sunshine and rainbows!" meaning that if something is fun, it is always worth considering.

The item rule you suggest sounds very sunshine and rainbows to me ;-). It will definitely make the game easier, but you could consider disallowing starting items to balance things a bit.

But give it a spin and let us know how it plays out!

Happy gaming!

Asger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor Vilchez
Spain
Barakaldo
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdemarcos wrote:
Thanks for your open-mindedness regarding house rules,
The relative lack of items during gameplay made us consider the following house rule: whenever you succeed investigating a dread card (not a plot card), roll a die. If you get a fist, take an item from the item area or a random item from the deck. You may keep a maximum of three items during the game (discard the extra items you get).

What do you think about this? Does it give more playability to the item cards, or are we unbalancing the game too much?

Yes, perhaps is too easy but with your idea I have new one.
Whenever you succeed investigating a dread card for each point over the necesary: roll a die. With a success (fist) take an item (only one, regardless of success).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.