Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
PACG Playmat System with over 500 playmats
badge
Check out my free Premium PACG Playmats
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I got the base game and dragon expansion. Plus ordered Dragon Exp 2.0 Box.

A) What are the dark agents good for? When to use?

B) Had the Minions Exp. A manual included?

C) siege of the capital and kings champion cards are what? High council?
Still in shrink. Did not open to loose overview.

D) Do you requiredarkness spreads and hero cards from Dragon V2.0?
Any update here?

E) Sliver dragon rules in Dragons V2 manual?
Encounter cards are 0,1,2,3 how to achieve? D4 die?

F) Minions undead expansion has two different hard cover cards for skeleton warrior. One has fear only and the other has fear plus dark magic.
Are you free to choose? Difficulty?

G) Minion generals is like base game but different general and two variance of minions. When minions spread, how to know when to place red demon or red elemental on a location according to darkness spread card? Card only shows one type of minion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Let me see if I can help with a few of these.

Quote:
A) What are the dark agents good for? When to use?

Dark Agents are used as a module to make the game harder. The only rule regarding limiting an Agent is they can't be played if you are using the dragon of the same color as a general. The rulebook should cover all Agents rules.
Quote:

I don't believe the minions expansions came with rules. FAQS and rules can be found on here.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122476/defenders-realm-mi...

Quote:
C) siege of the capital and kings champion cards are what? High council?
Still in shrink. Did not open to loose overview.

I can't recall what Siege of the Capital is.

King's Champion is a variant that allows to to have a little competition among players collecting prestige for performing different acts. The end results can give your hero an ability for a future play if you use the same hero.

High Council cards are a variant making the game Easier. A card should come with the pack explaining its use. You basically will draw one every time a general moves towards Monarch City and the Realm will lend some help.

Quote:
D) Do you require darkness spreads and hero cards from Dragon V2.0?
Any update here?

If you already have Dragon Expansion 1st Edition none of the cards are required. Someone else may need to weigh in on this as I forgot if there were any updating to cards in 2nd edition.

Quote:
E) Sliver dragon rules in Dragons V2 manual?
Encounter cards are 0,1,2,3 how to achieve? D4 die?

You will also have to make sure you got the Encounter Sterling Darkness spread cards which were left out of the first run of Sterling expansion so that you will know where Sterling shows up. It should be 3 Darkness Spreads Cards. The rules are explained in the book. When encountering Sterling use an action and role 3 dice. On 5s or 6s you get a success which relates to the 0,1,2,3.

Quote:

F) Minions undead expansion has two different hard cover cards for skeleton warrior. One has fear only and the other has fear plus dark magic.
Are you free to choose? Difficulty?

Correct. You can randomize them or decide for yourself which to play with. It is just a variant to make the game harder.

Quote:
G) Minion generals is like base game but different general and two variance of minions. When minions spread, how to know when to place red demon or red elemental on a location according to darkness spread card? Card only shows one type of minion...

Check the link above for answering all questions regarding minions and minion placement.

Hope this helps and hopefully all of this information is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myfly wrote:
Hi,

I got the base game and dragon expansion. Plus ordered Dragon Exp 2.0 Box.

Defenders the Realm: Minion Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG is a great place to pick up rules. If you want the official Eagle/Gryphon site its located here:

http://www.eggrules.com/games/games-d-l/defenders-of-the-rea...

Dragon Expansion 2.0 added a Dragon icon to make separating the cards out from the base game easier. Unfortunately, they mispelled Brimstone's cards as "Brimestone", Brimstone's Hero card "Pleasant Hill" with a horse and Onyx's Hero card "Seabird Port" with an Eagle were duplicated, Onyx's Hero card "Mermaid Harbor" with a horse is missing, and Brimstone & Sapphire's cards with Seagaul Lagoon are still mispelled as "Segaul" (same as Dragon Expansion 1.0).

The minion expansions accomplish three goals:
1.) Replace the base game's generic cloaked figure minions with specific sculpts (skeletons, demons, etc.)
2.) Offers a variant where tougher minions can be used. The full variant provides five special minions that accompany the general when they move. You substitute one special minion for a regular minion that accompanies the general on their movement step; for example, if Gorgutt moves you add a Wolf Rider and an Orc instead of 2 orcs. Meanwhile, the regular minions get an upgrade to make them harder.
3.) Provides small cards for regular game minions that match the style of the minion cards from Dragon Expansion 2.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
BGG is a great place to pick up rules. If you want the official Eagle/Gryphon site its located here:

http://www.eggrules.com/games/games-d-l/defenders-of-the-rea...

Dragon Expansion 2.0 added a Dragon icon to make separating the cards out from the base game easier. Unfortunately, they mispelled Brimstone's cards as "Brimestone", Brimstone's Hero card "Pleasant Hill" with a horse and Onyx's Hero card "Seabird Port" with an Eagle were duplicated, Onyx's Hero card "Mermaid Harbor" with a horse is missing, and Brimstone & Sapphire's cards with Seagaul Lagoon are still mispelled as "Segaul" (same as Dragon Expansion 1.0).

The minion expansions accomplish three goals:
1.) Replace the base game's generic cloaked figure minions with specific sculpts (skeletons, demons, etc.)
2.) Offers a variant where tougher minions can be used. The full variant provides five special minions that accompany the general when they move. You substitute one special minion for a regular minion that accompanies the general on their movement step; for example, if Gorgutt moves you add a Wolf Rider and an Orc instead of 2 orcs. Meanwhile, the regular minions get an upgrade to make them harder.
3.) Provides small cards for regular game minions that match the style of the minion cards from Dragon Expansion 2.0

Do you play with the hero and darkness spreads cards from base game or dragon v2?

And thanks great help.

Btw, the product catalog 2016 was an excellent idea on the egg homepage.
But an overview page would be great, what expansion goes with what addons and is still playable. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myfly wrote:
Do you play with the hero and darkness spreads cards from base game or dragon v2?

And thanks great help.

But an overview page would be great, what expansion goes with what addons and is still playable. What do you think?

Not sure this is an issue. All expansions can be played with the base game. On more than one occasion, I've played the base game with all available expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Myfly wrote:

And thanks great help.

Not sure this is an issue. All expansions can be played with the base game. On more than one occasion, I've played the base game with all available expansions.

And did you have any chance of winning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myfly wrote:
Aging One wrote:
Myfly wrote:

And thanks great help.

Its a Richard Launius, you always have a chance of winning! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Myfly wrote:
Aging One wrote:
Myfly wrote:

And thanks great help.

But the complexity is too high for all expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myfly wrote:
Aging One wrote:
Myfly wrote:
Aging One wrote:
Myfly wrote:

And thanks great help.

But the complexity is too high for all expansions...

I don't believe that the expansions add complexity; just more options, more things to remember. And, more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

You play with the cards that match the generals in play; mixing it up is allowed. So if you staged a game with Gorgutt (green orc general), Onyx (black dragon general), Sapphire (blue dragon general), and Balazarg (red demon general); you'd use the Darkness Spreads cards featuring those generals and the Hero cards assigning dice against those same generals. Obviously, for Sapphire you'd use either the Dragon Expansion version or the Base game version of the general and not both.

Things can get a bit confusing with the purple (special) Hero cards. Typically, I'll use the base game cards when using the base game generals or their alternates; however, if any of the Dragon Generals appear (Onyx, Hemlock, or Brimstone), I'll use the Dragon Expansion purple cards.

Regarding the other expansions, Defenders of the Realm was designed around the idea of customization. You can make the gamer harder or easier depending on which expansions or variants you use. For example, you might use the minion expansions - which makes the game harder - and balance the change by using the King's Blessing variant along with the Legends cards - which make the game easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Legends cards:

Just simply draw one card randomly?

There is no rules card existing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
For that expansion, give out one to each player at the beginning of the game.

I like to use them as a bonus to a player who completes 3 quests from the Quest deck expansion. Quests are tempting because they can offer really powerful abilities but time spent questing is often time NOT spent fighting the 4 armies. Do I beat that last quest and get a new ability or ignore temptation and keep defending the realm?

Edit :As far as customization, Autoduelist is right. With the expansions you can make the game super easy or make it nigh impossible! The game is luck driven but what I love about it is that luck can be mitigated with your powers and teamwor among the other defenders.

There is enough material available to make these variations to really make the game yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Quote:

... For example, you might use the minion expansions - which makes the game harder - and balance the change by using the King's Blessing variant along with the Legends cards - which make the game easier.

Is the minions expansion win-able with legends and kings blessing variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Myfly wrote:
Autoduelist wrote:
Quote:

... For example, you might use the minion expansions - which makes the game harder - and balance the change by using the King's Blessing variant along with the Legends cards - which make the game easier.

Is the minions expansion win-able with legends and kings blessing variant?

The game is winnable with any variant you add whether hard or easy. The game is very random so a lot of winning comes down to having a lot of luck go your way with drawing of cards and having a well put together team.

You will most likely always lose more than you win.

I just recently played Scenarios 1 and 2 from the Dragon expansion and lost both of them. Both times being defeated by a Dragon general with some very unlucky die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CajunShooter hit the nail on the head.

People often compare DOTR to Pandemic, but Pandemic is a bit more deterministic because player actions always have a specific, unvarying result. DOTR's use of dice for combat means that "good moves" to eliminate minions, taints, or generals might not always be rewarded with success, while "risky moves" could result in stunning victories. I often find I have to make "risky moves" in the late stages of the war because I don't have any better choices.

The goal when using expansions it two-fold:

1.) Do you enjoy playing the game more with the expansion than without it? If you like the minion sculpts, but you don't like the harder minion cards, it's okay to use the figures and ignore the minion rules.
2.) Over the course of several plays with the expansions you're using, are you trying to make the game experience harder to win or easier to win compared to your perceived baseline?

I understand the desire to win all the printed scenarios "as-is" or whatever challenge you set yourself up for. In DOTR - particularly the tougher scenarios - it all boils down to fortunate card draws and dice rolls. If you enjoy the journey, that's great. If it's frustrating you, then try to add some variants to make the game easier to win or just acknowledge that the scenario requires almost everything to go your way, so you might never reach your goal - the situation for the heroes (and you, the player) really was that dire! I bet if Lord of the Rings was a board game as it was presented in the books, most of the times the Fellowship would have lost and Sauron would have won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"All is quiet" cards are in a darkness spreads deck for the minion expansion or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All is Quiet cards are part of the Base Game and the Dragon Expansion reprint, although you only use one set at a time (base game or dragon expansion.) It's the default beneficial Darkness Spreads card for the game, a turn where no minions are placed or generals move. You have the option of removing the All is Quiet cards and replacing them with Global Effects cards: 3 Beneficial ones and 2 bad ones.

The presence or absence of All is Quite or Global Effects cards has no dependency on which generals or minion sets are being used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.