Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is so hard to find a decent modern day hardboiled detective game (non Victorian era) for a solo player. This could have fit the bill with a good solo variant. Has anybody come up with one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grejam53 wrote:
It is so hard to find a decent modern day hardboiled detective game (non Victorian era) for a solo player. This could have fit the bill with a good solo variant.

What do you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grejam53 wrote:
It is so hard to find a decent modern day hardboiled detective game (non Victorian era) for a solo player. This could have fit the bill with a good solo variant.

Solo variant that retains the flavour of the original would need to deal with hidden knowledge. The first way that springs to mind is as an app, which I think a good implementation could be done (for solo).

The other way would have to change how the game is played. Some means of digging through a deck to eliminate suspects, motives and places without needing to know what the right answer is. The accusation part would need to change too.

Yes, I'm totally with you that there aren't enough games with this theme! I can imagine a game like this that plays like the Arkham Horror LCG game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Yes, I'm totally with you that there aren't enough games with this theme! I can imagine a game like this that plays like the Arkham Horror LCG game!"

UPDATE - See "Detective: A Modern Crime Drama..." that is solo playable & utilizes online scenarios:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/223321/detective-modern-...

Not sure I would completely call it a board game though. More like a hybrid.

Then there's a totally online text driven game called "Sleuth NOIR" that will satisfy the noir itch. http://noir.playsleuth.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.