United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
* Name means "Wrinkled preserved bag-like body with crown-like mouth"
Voted Worst coming-of-age adult name given to aboriginal adolescent 3 years in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
col_w wrote:
Voted Worst coming-of-age adult name given to aboriginal adolescent 3 years in a row.

Sounds like a dish from a 'sublimed-wanna-be' modern restaurant. Nonetheless its a common ancestor for all vertebrates, starfish, sea cucumbers and our other 'not-so-good-looking' relatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Eukaryotic genocide?
I insist on my relationship with all eukaryotes being recognised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An extra info. It had no anus. Actually, it's a very complicated thing among all deuterostomes, including ourselves. Quite a few spectacular palaeontological break throughs during last month: trilobite eggs, solving the mystery of how long it took dinosaurs (at least half of them) to hatch and now basal deuterostome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
>sauron< "Puss*GRAB*MON!" of 'annals' now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is the letter to Nature peer-reviewed?

I'm just wondering if I should take it as now being considered established this is our earliest ancestor or if I should just take it as the opinion of a handful of researchers that it is our earliest ancestor?

(I know I'm trolling a little bit here, at a moment of triumph for evolutionary biology, but I hope others will also see this as a valid question that needs to be asked.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
col_w wrote:

Yep, those are my ancestors all right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesterinns wrote:
Is the letter to Nature peer-reviewed?

I'm just wondering if I should take it as now being considered established this is our earliest ancestor or if I should just take it as the opinion of a handful of researchers that it is our earliest ancestor?

(I know I'm trolling a little bit here, at a moment of triumph for evolutionary biology, but I hope others will also see this as a valid question that needs to be asked.)

I'm sure it was peer reviewed but that doesn't mean it is agreed upon.

If correct it usually takes at least 10-20 years for a discovery to reach consensus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
That's a rather poor article.

That is in no way the "earliest known step on the evolutionary path that led to fish and - eventually - to humans" (and I doubt that the paper said so either). It might be the earliest deuterostome, but that is not the same thing.

There are quite well-known fossils of much, much older organisms - stromatolites immediately leapt to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That talking about 'our earliest ancestor' is not precise (both biologists and science writers often use some shortcuts and simplifications), but more or less true. Our eldest ancestors are LUCA (Last Common Universal Ancestor), which is a forefather/mother (whatever, they were asexual) of both pro- and eukaryotes, then comes LUCE (Last Common Eukaryotic Ancestor). However, no fossils of LUCA or LUCE have been found. They are only theoretical ancestors, predicted by genomic analyses. After LUCA and LUCE comes the common ancestor of all deuterostomes. And here is where our little hero enters the stage. Since it's a real fossil, and has many features predicted to be features of a basal deuterostome, Saccorhytus is really something close to our eldest ancestor known from the fossil record (or more precisely, it is something that looks like our ancestor could). To sum it up, Saccorhytus is either our ancestor or a close cousin of our ancestor and is the eldest vertebrate ancestor(-like) fossil found up to date.

Remember that other organisms that can be tracked back further in the fossil record, as e.g. Cyanobacteria (stromatolites), cannot be our ancestors. They are our distant cousins and occupy a branch on the tree of life that lies very far from ours. However LUCA is a common ancestor for both humans and cyanobacteria. Sometimes our cousins get mixed with ancestors - a common misconception or simplification around evolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.