Subject: Help deciding on an LCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I've been needing a new dueling card game for some time now, and have decided I should go into one of FFgs LCGs (mainly for an accessible player base so its not just me and my not-quite-board gamer friends. Im looking at AGoT, Netrunner and the Star Wars and was hoping people who've played them could help me narrow it down by suggesting pros/cons.

I didnt want to post this in the inherent game pages because of the guaranteed bias Id get from each games patrons.

Right now my thoughts regarding the games are:
Netrunner: asymmetric seems cool, but I dont really get as excited about the theme as I do the other two
Star Wars: Right now probably my top pick, as pod building can make it more accessible to my other friends as well as theme, but not 100% sure on the game play
AGoT: omewhere in the middle.

Thanks for the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold off until the best one comes out - L5R LCG is coming out at GenCon this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about that one, whats L5R?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taylorcowbell wrote:
I know nothing about that one, whats L5R?

Legend of the Five Rings - best CCG not named Magic (and that's debatable). AEG sold it to Fantasy Flight in 2015 and they are converting it to an LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably rank Star Wars above Netrunner as well due to theme. I think the deckbuilding aspect is better in Netrunner however. I personally wish you didn't have to add up the pods like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoT is pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into Allegiance: A Realm Divided.

It's a very fun card combat game with Heroes instead of the player as the target. Each hero gives great variability in play. Both players share the draw decks so each game varies greatly and has tons of replayability. If you can, get the KS version with the two extra heroes.

Easy to learn and easy to teach. No chasing boosters etc. Scratched my MtG itch and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Netrunner: By far the most popular but the theme (cyber punk hackers) is very hit or miss among audiences. Also the game is well into its life and mature and this means items such as restricted lists ("Most Wanted"), erratas, FAQ's and a rotation are around. While all the games mentioned have erratas and FAQ's, the older one with more cards is going to have more.

Game of Thrones: I assume you mean 2.0. Relatively "new" with likely the 2nd largest player base. Fun theme based on TV series and mechanically its a pretty fun game with many decision trees. I hear from the strong players that the meta does tend to favour some of the higher cost characters. There is also some very popular cards which get used in many decks which can impose a bit of difficulty if you're not willing to proxy/share cards between decks.

Star Wars: This is the one I play and know the most. I have everything. I'm going to be very neutral on this. This game has the smallest player base out of the three games. The pod building system is something I personally like as it serves as a tool (not always successful) in balancing the game. Primary reason is that strong cards can be slotted in pods with other weaker cards to keep them in check. With that being said, this doesn't always work as there is most certainly some pods which stand out among others and are generally selected and some pods which are never selected. There are also pods in the middle which are used based on taste/play style and these are the main "successes" in my opinion.

Deck building with pods is quite "fun" and easy based on my opinion. Changes to your deck (which involve the addition or removal of a pod) feels impactful.

Although the theme is great (most people enjoy Star Wars) the player base is very small and the mechanics of this game are VERY abstract. This game full out favours mechanics over theme.

Do not be surprised to have situations where Yoda is fighting a Star Destroyer or Darth Vader is focused/locked/tapped down by something like an Ewok.

The game also is less intuitive than others. It is the most difficult to teach and get a new player imersed in as the game spins along 3 major important axels:

1. Combat
2. Edge battles
3. Force struggle

A game requiring two players to play different factions (dark side vs light side) and an assymetric win condition between the two causes for some artificial stringent game conditions. While rare you may occassionally hit scenarios where both players insist they want to play their Light side deck.

With that being said if you can get beyond those points Star Wars is a very fun game favoring the experienced player as you can determine (based on cards in pods) what cards the opponent has and what to play around. The edge battle also provides some of the largest opportunities for bluffing and mind games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taylorcowbell wrote:

Netrunner: asymmetric seems cool, but I dont really get as excited about the theme as I do the other two

You should follow your instincts. Setting or "theme" is pretty important for an LCG because it's a lot of cards and a lot of money and if the setting doesn't appeal to you then it is likely to wear on you even if the gameplay is good. This is why Legend of the Five Rings isn't even on my radar. However, if you can, perhaps read Gibson's Neuromancer, and if you still aren't interested, then skip Netrunner and never look back.

I couldn't tell from your op, but it seems you are implicitly ruling out co-op LCGs. If not, are you aware of the recent Arkham Horror LCg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A bit of background: I played a lot of Magic in the 90s. I've never played Star Wars. I've never played Android: Netrunner (but played original Netrunner a helluva lot). I've never played the L5R CCG.

I'll attempt to provide a neutral perspective on Thrones. I started playing the game a bit less than a year ago (never played the first edition). Since then, I've picked up every release, have played in many Organized Play (OP) events, and am a fairly active player in and around the Boston meta.

Despite being basically the third iteration of the game (CCG -> LCG 1.0 -> LCG 2.0), Thrones is quite complicated and has a steep learning curve. Nearly every card has a unique ability which can sometimes lead to massive board states that are very difficult to comprehensively assess. The challenge math (spread across the three different challenge types), coupled with the vast amount of action, reaction, and interrupt triggers, can be daunting to new players.

Thrones is thematically strong. Most of the art is fantastic. Each of the eight factions has strengths and weaknesses and a unique feel (e.g., play style) to them. The major characters from the lore are represented (for the most part) by impactful cards with faction-appropriate mechanics. If you enjoy A Song of Ice and Fire (the show and/or the books), I think you will be very pleased with the game's thematic direction.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention a major problem from a thematic perspective: mirror matches make absolutely no sense at all. Khal Drogo on my side can initiate a military challenge that Khal Drogo on your side can defend against. We can both be defending the same Wall with the same characters. Greywind can eat Rickon for breakfast. And so on...

It's a great time to get into the game because it's pretty new, the cardpool is relatively small, and the community is widespread and active. The current meta is the most diverse it's been since the game's release with most factions able to win high level tournaments. If you want to go the OP route -- even just for casual events and LCG nights -- there are metas all over the place. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the Thrones community (even when I was very new to the game). It's an intense, skillful game.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of LCGs you're considering, but just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 regarding Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Hold off until the best one comes out - L5R LCG is coming out at GenCon this year.

FYI, they bought the IP. There's nothing preventing them from completely reworking the game. While I have faith in FFG in their reworkings, I highly doubt this is AEG's version in a LCG format.

I will say my friends and I stopped playing Magic after a single game of L5R. Actual current LCG, I would go Netrunner or Arkham Horror if co-op is an option. Star Wars and GoT are rather good, but not at the level of the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Star Wars LCG fan.

The Star Wars theme is represented in a very interesting abstract fashion. The pod deck-building is very accessible.

I tried NetRunner and gave up quickly. The theme was only mildly interesting to me, but I'm not in to the competitive scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutilus wrote:
I tried NetRunner and gave up quickly. The theme was only mildly interesting to me, but I'm not in to the competitive scene.

I've played nearly 70 games of Netrunner and not once in a tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

FYI, they bought the IP. There's nothing preventing them from completely reworking the game. While I have faith in FFG in their reworkings, I highly doubt this is AEG's version in a LCG format.

That's likely a good thing. AEG's design team destroyed L5R for the last 10+ years of its life. They spent way too much time trying to turn it (the game itself, its player base, its tournament scene) into Magic, which ruined what it was, an amazing story-based card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still on the fence, and going to read the rule books for all three before I make a decision.

As for the people suggesting Arkham horror I actually have it already (and lord of the rings), but am looking to actually be able to beat someone... Competitve side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabula Games
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing about Netrunner is that there's quite a big community out there.
Also, if you don't have many people near you interested in playing regularly, you can download Jinteki and find others willing to play Netrunner online.

For me that was a big plus when I decided to play the game. Knowing that you can go home in the evening and easily play a match online surely helps in keeping the game interest/hype (if we want to call it that way) alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

I will say my friends and I stopped playing Magic after a single game of L5R. Actual current LCG, I would go Netrunner or Arkham Horror if co-op is an option. Star Wars and GoT are rather good, but not at the level of the other two.

To be clear, they have explicitly said it isn't going to be a direct port. There are no details on the scale of the changes, but the games definitely won't be one-for-one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner is coming out with a new 'campaign style' big box expansion called Android: Netrunner – Terminal Directive. It is supposed to be an ongoing campaign played by two players where decisions made early can affect the environment.

When you're finished, you then have all the cards to create custom decks with.

Getting in on the ground floor of something like that is appealing.

For the same reason, L5R has potential, provided your local scene develops a pool of opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars LCG is my personal favorite,.. partly due to the ease of the deck-constructing, but it's also a fantastic game. And I love SW.

A:NR is also great.

So, consider this:
From what I hear, the SWLCG community is not as thriving as A:NR. The Star Wars: Destiny hype is probably part of the reason, but I've heard that it's just not as well supported by FFG as A:NR is. A:NR has kinda been their "baby".
I've always thought it weird, because SW is one of the biggest and most marketable licenses EVAR, but it doesn't seem the LCG was ever pushed very hard, and now it will have to compete with Destiny (which is also fantastic, btw).

So, if you're looking for a community to play with, tournaments, meetups, etc., A:NR is probably the better bet,... OR Star Wars: Destiny if you hadn't considered it. (My local game cafe has SW: Destiny nights every week right now and it's easily the most popular game of the past couple months.)

If you want to play with family/kids, or the same friend(s) on a regular basis with quick deck-construction, SWLCG is still a great choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, they're all good.

The biggest question is:

Do you have an opponent or pool of opponents?

In the end that's all that truly matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Really, they're all good.

The biggest question is:

Do you have an opponent or pool of opponents?

In the end that's all that truly matters.

This is the one thing missing from all of the recommendations so far. If you have a local club, you may want to consider playing what they play. Nothing is worse than buying into a "collectible" game and finding out that no one will play with you. I've done it more times than I care to admit.

EDIT: Also, wait for L5R. FFG has said it will be their biggest launch to date, and these games are always easier to get into when they are new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little weird in that I consider Netrunner by far the worst LCG I played. The asymmetry seems cool in theory, but somehow, I find the gameplay totally uninteresting. It is probably the easiest to find other players for.

AGoT is good, but can be quite mathy and sometimes feel a little dry.

Star Wars is my personal favourite. It has some slight asymmetry and adds an interesting bluffing element. But I think it is more volatile than most of the others as the pod deck building means that you are somewhat forced to play suboptimal cards. The game is also very unforgiving, a small mistake can easily cost you the game.

If a non-FFG game is not totally out of question, my recommendation for such a game would be Epic Card Game. It is cheap, very balanced, and replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krazy Leggs
msg tools
Like being a hacker in a cyberpunk dystopian future who navigates his way through a minefield of ruthless programs that will drain your bank account, halt you in your tracks, destroy the very tools you're so desperately relying on, or at worst kill you, all in an attempt to thwart the next move of some of the biggest corporations on the planet(and off)?

Perhaps you secretly want to have the full force of capitalism behind you, except, rules don't apply... not to you. You set them. If someone is in your way - crush them. There's not a lot money can't buy.

Android: Netrunner is very much that as far as theme goes.

Gameplay: revolves around setting up servers as the corp and scoring your agendas knowing that on the other side the runner is doing everything he can, to stop you. There's a lot of strategy primarily in the deck-building portion of the experience while on the board, its very tactical. Bluffing, traps, timing, economy management as well as action management all play a very vital role. Randomness is not as much a factor (at least in my experience) as the game fundamentals (you can use actions to draw cards if you don't get what you need) of the game sort that out quite well.

Replayability: Runners and Corps play VERY differently. Within the Runners there are 3 major factions and within the Corp there are 4 factions. Each having about 9 identities to choose from (Some are better than others, but as the card pool expands, the power of each varies, opening new strategies etc.) giving you a very diverse amount of potential match-ups. Replay-ability for days!

Cost: To get in you just need the core game and you're good to go. Find which Runner or Corp you particularly enjoy and you can buy deluxe expansions for them. In total to get the entire collection might run you about $500 USD if you're bargain hunting with people selling entire collections for pretty discounted rates on occasion.

Community: Players are extremely helpful in this game I've found, very happy to teach new people the ropes and are very positive in general, despite the occasional "Game is dead because X card is released". There is a competitive scene but you don't have to participate (I casually play and have a blast with just me and a mate).

Do not get this game if you don't have someone / a group of people to play it with, however there is an online platform (Jinteki.net?) that lets you play with other players with the entire card pool (don't quote me on that as I don't use it, but its there should you find yourself with no-one to play at the time).

I personally love the game, from the thematic elements (its a very, very rich universe) to the gameplay. Best part is with each data-pack / expansion you get the maximum copies (3) of EVERY unique card in that expansion / data pack. No need to open boosters and pray to the RNG gods.

Hopefully this helps you decide if you like the game or not. Check out the Shut Up & Sit Down gameplay video to help sway you!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9bKr5lWpUU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
I'm a little weird in that I consider Netrunner by far the worst LCG I played. The asymmetry seems cool in theory, but somehow, I find the gameplay totally uninteresting.

I'll second that opinion. I really do enjoy the theme and idea behind Netrunner, but I found the gameplay to be lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
The only LCG I currently play is Lord of the Rings, is a nice CO-OP game, although doesn't fit what you are looking for.

I'm waiting for Legend of the Five Rings, as I tried Emporer edition from AEG and is really wasn't great, so hopefully FFG can do a good job with it and I think they will.

Something to consider with these things is the buy in, there's a lot of Netrunner out there already for example. I tried that game but didn't care about the theme, also looked at Game of Thrones but similary didn't care about the theme, as it seems like a fairly average program to me.

The theme is important though, especailly if you're going to spend £X a year to keep up with it. Similarly what kind of community is there for these games where you are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.