Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the game but am committed to the Ambassador pledge since
(1) I've never regretted backing a CMON KS, and (2) I have regretted not backing a CMON KS.

For games I know less about, I always like to get the base game, plus one expansion (preferably a KS exclusive expansion).

So can people who are more familiar with the game let me know what you think about the following options? I very much welcome comments explaining your choices as well.

Poll
If you could get just one of the current KS exclusive add-ons, which one would you get?
Gentleman of Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Backer Street Set
      99 answers
Poll created by El_Tonio

Poll
If you could get just one of the current five game-play add-ons, which one would you get?
The Gentlemen of Her Majesty's Secret Service (KS exclusive)
The Baker Street Set (KS exclusive)
The Dragon Expansion (limited edition printing, with a KS exclusive)
The Mekasylum Expansion (limited edition printing)
The Wheel Expansion (limited edition printing)
      101 answers
Poll created by El_Tonio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no intention of backing this game, now I find myself trying to limit my spending on it. Trying to limit myaelf to just one add isn't working...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to stick to just 1 given I don't know much about the game. Plus, we get quite a few extras at the ambassador level (including one KS exclusive expansion, and many other KS exclusives). But, just in case I really like it I want to get something extra.

How many are you getting? What are your top few contenders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the "limited edition printing" a new tactic, because it makes me get Pokemon fever as soon as I read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't The Embassy be included as an option? It's effectively a $20 addon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Baker vs Majesty
This one is a very close call for me, but I currently give the edge to The Majesty for two main reasons:
- Uniqueness of the models: a fox-man, a steel royal guard, a machine-gun-wielding queen Victoria lookalike and a winged engineer? Quite delightful concepts. Oh and some love for tentacles and Scotland doesn't hurt either. On the contrast the Baker street set is iconic in name, but not as visually enticing or creative(*according to my personal and arbitrary taste*.
-A decent amount of people I play with care about having the option to choose a female character and not be limited too much (as far as gameplay) based on that choice. Unless future stretch goals change that, the only way to get a female mechamancer is through the Majesty add-on.

2) 1 out of 5, again mostly a subjective choice based on what you would like to see on your table the most, so I don't know how useful my opinion is to others, but still.
The Wheel: look at them, aren't they fabulous? Theme-wise I also love the fact that the Nemesis might be playing what ostensibly can be seen as the good guys (same goes for the Mechasylum to be fair). Also, for the same argument made above, this is currently the only way to get a female monster (and quite an awesome one). As a side note, I like the concept of a 3-adventures campaign, which you get in all the "big" box expansions.

In general none of us can really tell which ones will be better gameplay-wise, as we don't have many details about the content of the various campaigns, so I'll just assume they will be roughly equally good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
Shouldn't The Embassy be included as an option? It's effectively a $20 addon.

I think the OP left it out of the comparison on purpose, as they have already decided they will get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Desferous wrote:
Is the "limited edition printing" a new tactic, because it makes me get Pokemon fever as soon as I read it.

I read in the comment section of the KS that this isn't CMON's original works but an IP from Smartmax. They are limited print in the event that the game is a failure. But if the KS is successful enough, they may print more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Iglesias
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything not KS exclusive AddOn is a sure not.
If the game results to be fun I'll search for the expansion later and the only thing I'll miss are one alternate figure and some plastic coins. No problem.

On the KS Exclusives.

Majesty includes player characters, which I prefer over Agents.
Even more, it includes more female player characters, something very important in my group.
And lastly, characters are SMOG originals.

Baker, on the other hand, includes versions of famous characters. Not original, so negative.
Figures are horrible. Plz, remove that box from Sherlock base.
And no Moriarty, really?

Seems an easy choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Do
msg tools
I really dislike that box too, that comes with the Sherlock mini. If I was only going with one expansion, I'd go with The Wheel (if KS exclusives matter not). However, as KS exclusives DO matter to me, I'd get the Gentlemen set from Majesty's Service.

I'm going all in, even plan on getting the burgundy dice and art book too.

What I didn't plan for was discovering Vanguard of War on KS a few days ago and pledging on that too, but that one looks too damn good to pass up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is why I'm leaning toward Baker St. even though I don't love the minis.

1 KS exclusive
2 I like the theme quite a bit
3 2 more missions
4 I like that 2 agents could also be gentlemen (including 1 female, which means at least 4 total females total and 15 gentlemen total).

While I also like the KS exclusive GoHMS, it's only 6 more gentlemen and nothing else. I do like that it adds more females, though. And I like the minis better.

Given there are already 11 gentlemen in the ambassador pledge, it seems more agents and missions and heroes would add more than just 6 heroes. And, from the way the image is spaced out, I'm guessing/hoping we get at least 1 more hero (ideally female).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tonino
msg tools
Personally, I'd consider the add-ons as exclusive as well.

With those included I'd prefer more missions over 6 more agents.

And looking at the mission expansions it's a toss-up between The Wheel and Mekasylum. The Wheel has the awesome Golum but Mekasylum sounds like it has a more interesting campaign (and Gepetto). I'd say Mekasylum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pricing of some of the addons seems a bit weird.

15$ for a single KD:M mini that can't even be used in KD:M?
25$ for Baker Street with four minis, two missions and dashboards and activation cards?

That seems expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orya wrote:

25$ for Baker Street with four minis, two missions and dashboards and activation cards?

That seems expensive.

Smaller sales volume for both of these.
Thus, the margin is smaller.
In order to compensate, and make the projected margin, the cost to the end consumer must increase.

How many KD:M cross-over models you think they'll sell?
Unless some one is a collector like myself, it's not likely they'll spring for that model.
$15 for a single model is actually under the average price for a boutique model of this type.
$20-25 is average.

Plus, it's a limited print run and KS exclusive. $15 is perfectly reasonable IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Orya wrote:

That seems expensive.

Economy of scale. Being add-on exclusives, they'll sell the least amount of units of them, and won't be able to recoup costs by using the miniature molds in the future. The crossover also has licensing fees attached to it.

Not that it isn't hokey, but if people keep wanting/buying these add-ons at X price, CMoN will keep producing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrado del foxe
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Mekasylum for sure, the gameplay looks good! The Dragon is unappealing to me and the wheel looks like it's missing something, it's not cohesive! And the golem looked way better when it was a SMOG mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that 'The Dragon' expansion is leading. Didn't seem like it generated that much interest when it was revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swr66 wrote:
Interesting that 'The Dragon' expansion is leading. Didn't seem like it generated that much interest when it was revealed.

I don't really know anything about the IP, but the miniatures in The Dragon look more artistically interesting to me.

I know Sherlock Holmes too, but it seems they are kind of out of there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've pledged

Ambassador with:
-Mekasylum Expansion
-KDM: Steampunk Knight
-Burgundy Dice

Considering:
-Dragon Expansion.

EDIT: Oh crap I went all in. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertram Vogel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you do not get the Gentlemen of Her Majesty's Service Addon for $25 you should at least consider to get only the cards + dashboards for $4 (see: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/the-world...).

You could then
a) just proxy these Heroes with other minis from the base game / SG (so at least you have the gameplay variance of these heroes)
b) buy the other World of Smog Game "On Her Majesty's Service" at retail which also includes these miniatures (although with another color scheme).

Also, I made a pledge calculator that also lists the contents of the addons which might be helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vX71TntTAOSO2XXUN_q6...

EDIT: Sorry, b) is not really an option. I just had another look at the first game and the real miniatures actually were a kickstarter exclusive optional buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Nguyen
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
My choice would also be the Dragon expansion. The theme is cohesive beautifully unique imho. Wish the Fangs had their veils covering their faces but I can cut a piece of fabric and do that myself when I get it.

The Mekasylum is a cool but something about a random orphan girl with a gun was off. I know the theme was toys and children play with toys but a little orphan girl with a gun being a threat to the unicorn club?

The Wheel is a close second since it's also very unique with witches of nature and the cobblestone golem is badass but another werewolf (an even COOLER one with a HAT compared to Drago) threw the theme off to me. If I end up getting this expansion I might replace Drago with Divio Juckal. Also pretty tired of goblins. Should have been mangroves or something more thematic.

I know this is super nitpicky but that's because the topic was to pick only 1. Good thing I don't have to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KedynX wrote:
Even if you do not get the Gentlemen of Her Majesty's Service Addon for $25 you should at least consider to get only the cards + dashboards for $4 (see: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/the-world...).

Thanks for the reminder... I like this idea a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally a bit tired of the creepy themepark setting. It's just overdone. The theme of Dragon seems to be the strongest to me, and I really like the tile art, so that goes first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.