BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fun/simple games with day/night cycles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Family Gill
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Any fun, fairly simple and quick games with day/night cycles that affect gameplay?

I'm thinking of designing a game where units/creatures transform during day/night cycles, and different players control them when they transform - let me know if you've ever heard of or have experience with anything remotely similar, cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula (second edition). Not a quick, light game, but it does have day/night cycles where the vampire has certain extra moves/combat abilities available during the night cycles so the vampire hunters do better to corner and combat him during the day.

Games like One Night Ultimate Werewolf have a day/night cycle, with certain actions taking place in the night and others during the day.

I believe Pingo Pingo also has some differences based on day/night.

And not day night (not terribly quick and light either), but an interesting example of a game with a weather/season cycle is Expedition: Northwest Passage, where a sun disk moves around the board in successive rounds, the disk divided into a blue upper half and a yellow lower half, with everything above the dividing line frozen and not navigable by ship (only by sled) and everything below the dividing line still having open water navigable. Depending on what you have in mind, this system might be helpful even though it's not day/night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica has day and night actions but nothing like you mention - sounds fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampire Hunter does this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game has a day/night cycle that affects the powers/capabilities of the characters involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Family Gill
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
These are very helpful, thank you! Does anyone have any ideas on how they would implement a system where players shared control of assets, I.e. Control shifted each turn? Really interested to get some feedback on ways people see this being implemented

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Competitive or cooperative game? This would give a very different dynamic for day/night shifting of control.

In competitive, knowing exactly when the change-over happens would likely cause very careful maneuvering of the change-over character to a "safe" location for the change-over. If the change-over is semi-randomized, there might be some "push-your-luck" element of it. Depends on how long the transition is, though.

By randomized, I was thinking something like: if each turn represented an hour of the day, at the border point (dawn/dusk) you'd shuffle a deck with 6 cards in it -- 4 "stay controlled", 2 "change control" -- and draw one card. If control doesn't change, next hour draw another card from the deck without replacing the previous one. How long do you gamble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is NOT a quick/light game I am referencing but it does have day/night cycles that affect play. In Mage Knight Board Game, the day/night cycle affects what dice results (which are used for activating certain card abilities) can be used. There are also some spell/ability cards that change how they operate and/or how powerful they are based on whether it is day or night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barx M
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryalyn wrote:
This is NOT a quick/light game I am referencing but it does have day/night cycles that affect play. In Mage Knight Board Game, the day/night cycle affects what dice results (which are used for activating certain card abilities) can be used. There are also some spell/ability cards that change how they operate and/or how powerful they are based on whether it is day or night.

I completely agree with Ryalyn. If you are designing a game based off of day/night cycles this is a good one to look at and take inspiration from. It is extremely well executed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Day Night Z. Perhaps also lacking in simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.