D Le
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.kanataboardgamers.ca

The Groundhog Edition

Theme: This week our subterranean furry friends will come out of their holes to predict how soon winter will end (<oh please make it end>. So bring your games of weather predictions, superstitions, and animals in holes, or of course, anything you care to play.

There is a meeting of the Kanata Board Gamers every Thursday; next one is 02 FEB 2017. The start time for the session is 6pm till approximately 11pm.

We meet at the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (KCCRC) at 46 Castlefrank Rd, which is beside the Hazeldean Public Library. There is parking outside. Just go straight through the doors facing the lot, and you can't miss us!

During the winter season we are kindly requested to remove any outside footwear when coming into the church to avoid tracking in the winter muck. So it's a good idea to bring a spare change of shoes.

$2.50 will be collected from each person. The first $30 collected is donated to our gracious venue. Any left over will go into our board game library fund. Members can borrow from the library any time. Borrow it one session, bring it back for the next.

Visitors are always welcome. Come on in and check us out! There is no obligation, but if you decide to become a member it only costs $7.50 and entitles you to 10% discount cards at select local games stores. (FAQ)

Note if you want the discount cards (for Fandom II, Mrs. Tiggy Winkles, and Comic Book Shoppe), let Steve know, and he'll have them made up. 100% of the $7.50 fee goes to CanGames to support kids games, and the cards are good for 1 calendar year from the month you get them.

Feel free to use this forum thread to discuss what to play!

Directions by car to the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (from the East):

1. Take Queensway/417 to Castlefrank exit, EXIT 139
2. Turn left onto Kanata Ave
3. Continue about 2km to 46 Castlefrank Rd, just past Hazeldean Rd.
4. Destination will be on the left, at the stop sign. Go up the hill.
5. Go through the doors facing the parking lot and into the main hall.

Directions using public transportation (from the East)
1. OC Transpo route 118 starts at the Hurdman station.
2. For stops check the 118 route: http://www.octranspo1.com/maps/
3. The stop you want is Hazeldean & Castlefrank
4. Walk west on Castlefrank following signs for the library
5. The church is on your left and is well signed.
6. Go up the hill to the doors facing the parking lot, and into the main hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Doody
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a copy of Keyflower that they are willing to bring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Morgan
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of these Thursdays when I'm not working, I will have to stop by. It's so great that there's a gaming group in Kanata!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Le
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely check us out, we're a good group to play with. Just steer clear of Costa. He's an oddball. He likes to follow the weekly theme (who does that?); definitely weird .

Side note: whoever brought Keyflower yesterday dropped one of their cardboard chimneys. Not really a key component (see what I did there), but if you want it, I have it in my money box, so poke me next time you see me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costa K
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, who thumbed that message? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
$2.50 will be collected from each person. The first $30 collected is donated to our gracious venue. Any left over will go into our board game library fund. Members can borrow from the library any time. Borrow it one session, bring it back for the next.

Is the library up to date? Asking as I thought you guys bought a copy of Time Stories for it.

Anyhow some of the titles there do look a bit old; don't know how much is there, but might be good to put some of the library fund to good use
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Le
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea I'll have to poke Steve to update, we do have TIME Stories and the first expansion. We also got New York 1901 and a few other games donated to our library in the past year.

We're always open to ideas on how to use our spare funds. I think someone suggested a game mat, as sometimes picking up cards off of tables is difficult. Or perhaps we get an organizer subscription on meetup.com to get the word out to a larger audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok, so I updated the KBG collection. Didn't realise there were 11 expansions for time stories (wow!).

For mats, trouble is who will carry mats to hall and back. We could look into renting locker space at the hall...

A new revamped collection is a good idea. Any suggestions Lang? Ideally we fund someone going to gencon to acquire (eh?) the latest and shiniest. Or, we get get a few from our scads of Kanata Con 2017 sponsors.

I like the idea of a meetup sub. And, it doesn't turn anyone into a mule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the mat challenge. Besides we used to manage just fine with those hard surfaces. A suction dart helps in a pinch

Re what to get, I'll give it some thought and perhaps you could get thoughts from other members and create a poll?

(How much $$$ in the fund are we talking about anyhow?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costa K
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since we have a lot of people that bring games each week anyways, a meetup sub may be a better option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.