Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
After buying a couple of supplements and the Hero Pack; should I add the new zombie and hero cards to the core decks permanently or only when playing with their respectively supplement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no compatibility problems, as far as using everything. Just be aware that the zombie player sort of loses a win condition, since running the Hero players' deck out isn't feasible when it has doubled in size.

Just cruise through the variants section here on BGG, there are quite a few "fixes" for that little issue. (For what it's worth, I've just ignored losing that win condition and play with everything and the game has always remained fun and felt fair to both sides.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I guess adding about 20 cards to each deck wouldn't break the game, right? So that's what I'm gonna do. Don't want the hassle that comes with keeping the cards separated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't break the game, but does alter it slightly. For most folks, not enough to matter. If you are concerned about it two easy fixes are to either Shuffle them all together than remove x cards (being how many cards have been added in the expansions) so that you have a 60 card deck. If you do this, make sure you pull the scenario search items out so that you don't make an un-winnable game deck.

The other, easier fix is to leave the decks full sized and take out the two Immediate zombie cards that say discard (5 or 10... I don't remember exactly) cards from the hero deck into the hero discard pile. The reason for that is running the heroes out of cards is no longer a viable win condition, so flipping those cards into the discard pile just makes the game easier for the heroes, by helping them search for things they need.

If you want to be really exact, separate the base game cards into weapons, items and events. count how many of each there are, then add your promo cards based on type, to each pile. Shuffle, then randomly build the deck with the proper number of cards for each pile. Sounds like more wok than you want to do, but that is technically the only way to make sure the ratios of weapons to deck size stay consistent. Otherwise, you may have runs where your heroes are defenseless.

All that being said, I do it the lazy way of shuffling all the cards in and just playing, writing off that victory condition completely.

We've never had a bad time, so do whatever you want! the game can handle it.

zombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That win condition where the heroes run out of cards have never ever even been close to trigger in our games. Not with just the base game or with all expansions added in.
The only problem I see with not permanently adding new cards to the decks are with starting equipment for some heroes. Some starting cards for expansion heroes are found in the expansion decks (both heroes and zombies). It could possibly be a bit of a hassle to look for their cards in the omitted decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We attempted to solve the zombie win condition of running the decks out by multiplying the amount of cards removed by the factor that the decks had increased in size. So, when our decks went 60 to 90 cards, we pulled 1.5x the amount of cards, 2x when we hit 120 cards, etc. The additional cards in the discard help the heros out a bit, but they need all the help they can get. We've still never seen a game end with this win condition even when using the bae decks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
There might be other scenarios impacted too. I think "start the truck" required gas and keys, which would be harder for heroes to find in a thicker deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
There might be other scenarios impacted too. I think "start the truck" required gas and keys, which would be harder for heroes to find in a thicker deck.

Runs of bad cards or cards of the same type clumping at the top or bottom of the deck are always a possibility with more cards in the deck, but as far as scenario search items go, they did add more copies of Just What I Needed in some of the expansions to the decks, to account for the larger deck size. Like everything else, sometimes that backfires and you get three copies of Just What I Needed in the first two turns because they clumped, ending the game prematurely. That's god for a laugh (hopefully) but other than that, the scenarios that rely on finding specific cards generally aren't any harder for the heroes with expanded decks, since they have more chances to tutor cards out of the big deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.