Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games with a Maori theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently go interested in Maori culture and was wondering if there are any good games with a Maori theme. I searched "maori" here on bgg but I got a few old and out of print games.

Are there any out there that I should know about?

Thanks in advance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I could think of off-hand was Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown,
(tho' I'd be hard-pressed to recommend it)
but I did find some handy-dandy geek lists for you:

Polynesian Themed Games
Hawaiian, Tahitian, and Other Polynesian-Themed Board Games
Pacific Island Games

I also seem to recall a recent release of a table-top miniature game featuring Maori,
but that may be far afield of what you are looking for.
(I'll add it with an edit when I find it in any case)

{edit}
Looks like I misremembered!
I could have sworn there was a recent KS for a new line,
but I might have been thinking about these painted Eureka 28mms:
http://jacksarge.blogspot.com.ar/2016/09/going-tribal-maoris...
There is also the Maori Wars Yahoo group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MaoriWars/info
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872 -- wargame

Maori -- more name than theme

Maori Wars -- 2-player card game; may be hard to find.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Eldard wrote:
Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872 -- wargame

Maori -- more name than theme

Maori Wars -- 2-player card game; may be hard to find.


I assume those are the ones the OP referred to. Have you played them?

Check out Conquest of Paradise - it's Polynesia in general and doesn't include New Zealand, but it's got a little history and is a high quality game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872 looks quite good, once it finally gets published.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Eldard wrote:
Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872 -- wargame

Maori -- more name than theme

Maori Wars -- 2-player card game; may be hard to find.


I assume those are the ones the OP referred to. Have you played them?

Check out Conquest of Paradise - it's Polynesia in general and doesn't include New Zealand, but it's got a little history and is a high quality game.


I haven't played any of them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago? It may not be exactly what you're looking for, as I'm not sure the specifics on Maori culture, but it looks the part. It even has little Maori-esque figures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great initial post. Great, informative answers. Many thanks everyone.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Tobago (no idea why it's named after a Caribbean island) is based off Easter Island/Rapa Nui. Maori on New Zealand and other Polynesians on other islands did not build moai. This is a common misconception, since the moai seem to always be associated with Polynesia in pop culture. Blame restaurants and tiki bars?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
After some research, it appears that tiki-inspired restaurants and bars in the 1930's brought Polynesian culture to America, which became more popular in the 1960's after Hawaii became a state. The diversity of Polynesian culture, religion, and tikis across the many islands was largely simplified to Easter Island statues, Hawaian shirts, ukuleles, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Tobago (no idea why it's named after a Caribbean island) is based off Easter Island/Rapa Nui. Maori on New Zealand and other Polynesians on other islands did not build moai. This is a common misconception, since the moai seem to always be associated with Polynesia in pop culture. Blame restaurants and tiki bars?


Similarly, Tongiaki features a number of island tiles named after actual Pacific islands, but New Zealand is not one of them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872 -- wargame

Maori -- more name than theme

Maori Wars -- 2-player card game; may be hard to find.

These are the games I found on bgg, seem to be hard to get and maybe not great games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacic wrote:
Tobago? It may not be exactly what you're looking for, as I'm not sure the specifics on Maori culture, but it looks the part. It even has little Maori-esque figures.
This game looks interesting and definitely fits the bill! Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a lesser known Knizia title, Orongo, would work as well. Bonus that it's a really good game too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
White Elk wrote:
The only one I could think of off-hand was Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown,
(tho' I'd be hard-pressed to recommend it)
but I did find some handy-dandy geek lists for you:

Polynesian Themed Games
Hawaiian, Tahitian, and Other Polynesian-Themed Board Games
Pacific Island Games

I also seem to recall a recent release of a table-top miniature game featuring Maori,
but that may be far afield of what you are looking for.
(I'll add it with an edit when I find it in any case)

{edit}
Looks like I misremembered!
I could have sworn there was a recent KS for a new line,
but I might have been thinking about these painted Eureka 28mms:
http://jacksarge.blogspot.com.ar/2016/09/going-tribal-maoris...
There is also the Maori Wars Yahoo group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MaoriWars/info

Thanks for all the info! Those geeklists look like they might have some games that fit the bill. Also, those minis look awesome.

Thanks again for all the info.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I had Tahiti but traded it before I ever actually played it so I have no idea how close it is to what you're looking for.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe there are that many games that feature Māori culture, let alone games that are actually good!

Mu Torere is a game that was actually played by Māori but I don't believe it was good! I've never played it myself.

Māori culture features some other types of games, which you can read about at the link below:
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/traditional-maori-games-nga-taka...

The board games that others have mentioned are probably your best bet however:
Tobago - has nothing to do with Māori culture. I think the game looks interesting, but don't play it if you want to know about Māori culture.
Orongo - as above, this has nothing to do with Māori.
Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown - while not really involving Māori specifically, it might give insight into how they travelled to New Zealand (though with different boats)
Tahiti - If you are looking into modern day Māori culture, then don't look into this.

This isn't meant to be an attack on those games (or the people who suggested them), merely a means to clarify what is relevant to the OP.



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Of the Polynesian (not Maori specifically) games I've played:

Conquest of Paradise - very good light wargame. One of the best exploration games. Incorporates a bit of history. I like how it raises the question of how Polynesian got sweet potatoes, and whether they were in contact with the Americas long before Europeans.

Tobago - pasted-on theme. The rotating moai are cool. An interesting take on deduction - more like choosing how to narrow down the possibilities. OoP and a bit expensive on the secondary market.

Orongo - Knizia auction and route-builder. IMO the Rapa Nui theme is pretty pasted on, but others feel it's thematic. Auction mechanic is pretty interesting (2nd and 3rd place bids matter), but I find the rest of the game boring.

Tiki Topple - completely pasted on theme, but a really good fun filler with hidden objectives.

I might have played others I can't recall.

That new Maori Wars game from Legion Games looks quite good and by far the most thematic historical game available about Maori. You can pre-order it for $40: http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_maori_wars.html
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Conquest of Paradise. GMT recently released the new deluxe edition with higher quality components. I got the game on a recommendation after disliking Eclipse and it is among the best of the so called "4X" board games I've played where it balances the risk/reward of exploration with simple combat and minimal upkeep.

And since you're interested in Polynesian history the game contains a separate appendix detailing every historical component with written references to learn more.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872 looks quite good, once it finally gets published.

Does anyone know when the Legionaries pre-order closes?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
coltbeatsall wrote:
I don't believe there are that many games that feature Māori culture, let alone games that are actually good!

Mu Torere is a game that was actually played by Māori but I don't believe it was good! I've never played it myself.

Māori culture features some other types of games, which you can read about at the link below:
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/traditional-maori-games-nga-taka...

The board games that others have mentioned are probably your best bet however:
Tobago - has nothing to do with Māori culture. I think the game looks interesting, but don't play it if you want to know about Māori culture.
Orongo - as above, this has nothing to do with Māori.
Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown - while not really involving Māori specifically, it might give insight into how they travelled to New Zealand (though with different boats)
Tahiti - If you are looking into modern day Māori culture, then don't look into this.

This isn't meant to be an attack on those games (or the people who suggested them), merely a means to clarify what is relevant to the OP.




Thanks for this information. It's a shame there aren't many games with a Maori theme that attempt to be historically accurate.

Maybe after the steam for vikings runs out, the Maori will be the next big theme used in games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Rapa Nui or Giants to do with the area you are looking at?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Is Rapa Nui or Giants to do with the area you are looking at?


Those are about Eaater Island vice the Maori. I haven't played the first, but I own Giants and find it an excellent worker placement game with great bits and rich in theme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.