Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Almost finished first campaign - Villain/Ally question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Daniel
msg tools
So, we have two more missions to go to finish our first campaign. It has been a blast - my son has loved it, and I have really enjoyed it as well. Question as we prepare to do another campaign (he is already sad that this one is almost over .

If he earned an ally (Luke) by winning a mission in the current campaign (one we are finishing) - can he use him as an ally in the next (new) campaign we do? Or does he have to wait for that side mission to come up and win it again?

I am guessing this applies to individual villains (IG-88, Vader, etc) "earned" as well.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you earn an ally/villain they are available for any future missions. For allies, the imperial player will get threat equal to their cost at the start of the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
totalnoob wrote:
If he earned an ally (Luke) by winning a mission in the current campaign (one we are finishing) - can he use him as an ally in the next (new) campaign we do? Or does he have to wait for that side mission to come up and win it again?

You have to win him again. Each campaign resets the various players' XP, Influence, credits, etc. including allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A new campaign is like a hard reset: Rebel + Imp lose all ability/cards/ability to bring in villain/allies...

Note though the exact steps is Imp pick open groups -> Imp deploy initial groups -> read mission briefing -> Rebels decide if they want to bring in ally -> (if yes) Imp gains threat equal to ally's deployment cost and may immediately resolve another optional deployment

So there's a little bit mind games there: Imp pick open groups before Rebels decide to bring in ally. Bring in ally = might face your AT-ST, but same goes for Imp: if you picked AT-ST and Rebels didn't bring in ally you might not be able to deploy that chicken walker

But hey feel free to "give" your son the ability to bring in Luke: once you start houseruling stuff anything can happen. Just make sure you don't go overboard & going into Monopoly-esque territory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
How about this, let him choose to keep one ally, Luke in this case, and nothing else and you'd get to keep something of equal worth too for the new campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Medeiros
msg tools
designer
Rhalius wrote:
How about this, let him choose to keep one ally, Luke in this case, and nothing else and you'd get to keep something of equal worth too for the new campaign.

This is how I'd handle it. Fun, thematic, and pretty balanced I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to IA, also running the campaign with my son. Has anyone tested play and balance by replacing a hero with an ally? So for instance, taking a team of Gaarkhan, Mak, Diala, and Luke. You'd lose out on the ability to buy class XP cards unless you built one for Luke, but you'd also not have to pay the Threat cost for adding a 5th character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Daniel
msg tools
Rhalius wrote:

Thats a great idea. Might try that. We are just playing together for fun, so I suppose we can make up our own rules. He really loves the story telling and surprise element of the campaign thus far. Seems like trying out different hero combinations and mixing in different side campaigns should get great replay-ability.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
For family games, I am toying with the idea that you can bring any ally in but at a penalty of 2-4 threat or maybe +% of the cards costs until legitimately earned, so an incentive still exists.

Could be fun to bring in some more variety to campaign games, especially with all the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott K.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you've enjoyed the campaign with your son!

When it's just me and my son, we house rule the uniques so we can see more of them in the game. Seeing only 1 or 2 in the whole campaign just wasn't enough for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.